• Register Today It's free!

Broken Exhaust Hanger

RandyH2

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Limited AWD
An update on my front-end noise. I got under the Ex again today to look for the cause, this time from the opposite side of the vehicle. My initial diagnosis of it coming from the exhaust system was correct and I discovered the problem: the exhaust hanger located downstream from the catalytic converter has a connection to the body on each side of the pipe when new. On my Ex, the drivers side metal arm rusted where it was welded to the pipe and fell off, leaving the assembly hanging from just the bracket on the passengers side.

Yes, it is possible that some piece of road debris flipped up under the vehicle, jammed against the bracket and tore it off the vehicle. No obvious signs of damage/impact in the area around the bracket but it is possible. Or I got a bad piece of metal in my bracket. Who knows.

Off to the parts store to see if I can find a bolt-on repair. I'll post a follow-up once I figure it all out.

If anyone knows the diameter of that pipe, or the correct bracket....

Thanks

An update on my front-end noise. I got under the Ex again today to look for the cause, this time from the opposite side of the vehicle. My initial diagnosis of it coming from the exhaust system was correct and I discovered the problem: the exhaust hanger located downstream from the catalytic converter has a connection to the body on each side of the pipe when new. On my Ex, the drivers side metal arm rusted where it was welded to the pipe and fell off, leaving the assembly hanging from just the bracket on the passengers side.

Yes, it is possible that some piece of road debris flipped up under the vehicle, jammed against the bracket and tore it off the vehicle. No obvious signs of damage/impact in the area around the bracket but it is possible. Or I got a bad piece of metal in my bracket. Who knows.

Off to the parts store to see if I can find a bolt-on repair. I'll post a follow-up once I figure it all out.

If anyone knows the diameter of that pipe, or the correct bracket....

Thanks

If it is indeed rusted off, then you still have a rust warranty for perforation. 5 years. I think this would count since it rusted all the way through and it fell off. Someone else had their exhaust hanger come off too, I think it was someone who owned a police interceptor.

Thanks. I have to take it in for a recall whenever they decide to schedule me and I'll ask about it then. Sadly, my local dealership is NOT one of the great experience places.

FYI the exhaust pipe looks like it is 2.25" in diameter.

Back