• Register Today It's free!

Broken glass

jjm0001

Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington, DE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
I was on vacation in Vermont this past week and I parked my explorer on a quiet side street for about an hour. When I returned, the drivers side back seat pop out window was smashed. Fortunately there was no body damage and nothing was stolen (especially the car). I guess that a rock could have hit the window or it could have spontaneaously exploded, but I tend to think it was a vandalism. It cost me a little over $400 dollars to replace this window! I thought this was really expensive and was wondering if anyone has had this window replaced and how much it cost. Of course my insurance deductible was $500 so I ate this one. The glass store told me that the back side windows in the cargo area on this car cost $3000. Is this for real or did I get ripped off? I thought parts for american cars were relatively inexpensive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did u take it to the ford dealer?

Glass is Expensive on these cars. The Back glass is not $3000 it is more like $1200.00 from what I heard. I broke my sunroof glass and it cost $800.00 and that was the cheapest I found with a friend giving me the hook up. Now my insurance on Glass is a $50 deducable because that happend.

Windshield replacement here in Florida is a freebe from your insurance company. No deductable either.

Man you guys are all getting ripped off! I paid $150 or $200 for that side cargo area window. Not the back one but the side one. This was used. All the new places were charging way higher then that I do belive something like $550+.

Originally posted by rpenner54
Man you guys are all getting ripped off! I paid $150 or $200 for that side cargo area window. Not the back one but the side one. This was used. All the new places were charging way higher then that I do belive something like $550+.

Not around here. here being SF Bay area.

$1200 for the rear side glass, privacy type. $900 for non-privacy.

Finding used parts for the Navajo/Explorer in the SFBay area is like a game of cat and mouse.. and your the cat, and there's no mouse to be found.

Why you ask? Vehicles don't rust here - they just wear out. And explorers are good, long duration vehicles - they will last an easy 300k miles, 15-20years in this area.

My local Ford dealer charged my insurance company $1149.53 for the rear quarter panel glass (the side glass in the cargo area). It is the tinted kind.

Originally posted by tdavis

Not around here. here being SF Bay area.

$1200 for the rear side glass, privacy type. $900 for non-privacy.

Finding used parts for the Navajo/Explorer in the SFBay area is like a game of cat and mouse.. and your the cat, and there's no mouse to be found.

Why you ask? Vehicles don't rust here - they just wear out. And explorers are good, long duration vehicles - they will last an easy 300k miles, 15-20years in this area.

They don't rust here either. There is just one place that specializes in new wrecked title vehicles. Then depending on the condition they sell it whole or part it out. Most likely parting them out. All are bought in insurance auctions. That sucks out there! LOL

Originally posted by tdavis

Same here the only Explorers in the Salvage yards here are ones that the driver did not get there firestones replaced in time.

$3 a month more on my insurance and I get my window replaced at a cost of $35 to me. I thought it was a good deal.

It cost about $380 for a windshield replacement on my 1991 Explorer about 2 months ago and about $500 to replace that tinted cargo back side window about 3 years ago (in Seattle). These are "speciality" windows and as you guys probably know, a "high profit replacement" item for Ford. The back side window broke after a minor rock hit it and the windshield cracked and broke after washing the windshield with a handfull of snow in June (cold snow on warm glass = cracked windshield). These are pretty flimsy glass windows in my opinion. I tried to find information on more sturdy glass but was unsuccessful. Older vehicles have that sandwich-type safety glass which is much stronger in my opinion (this glass will not shatter if you push on it with a sharp pointed object).
Mike in Seattle

i say: custom fab some plexiglass windows.... :)

broken glass = junkyards are your friend.

Back