Broken Intake Tube?

willindsay

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Sevierville,TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited
Today While I was trying to put on a MAF from a 4.6L Town Car I discovered that my air intake tube has apperently made contact with some moving part and has pieces broken off on the TB side.

4858205655_3e6de34e61.jpg

4858826054_68c148e50d.jpg

So should I just see if I can find one in good condition or is there a better one out there or can I make one that will work??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it melted. use the stock one and wrap it in heat insulation like i did. search for (who wants 2-3 mpg better) and you will see what i am talking about.

OK so the next one I get I should wrap in that stuff. So am I better off gettin a stock one thats not melted cause it is alot worse than the pictures show.

OK so the next one I get I should wrap in that stuff. So am I better off gettin a stock one thats not melted cause it is alot worse than the pictures show.

Yes, or... do this... Just something cool to think about... I was going to buy a 93 XLT and do this eventually, but the deal fell through :(
You don't need to modify the hood. I built my intake entirely with parts from Autozone in their parking lot, using the Spectre brand equipment. Cost about $100 to get a complete unique setup. Of course I don't know that you'd call it a cold air intake, as it sucks air at the same location... but it is a high flow setup and resulted in noticeable power gains. I attached a picture.
attachment.php

A cheaper option is to just buy the cone filter and MAF adapter, and attach them replacing your stock airbox and re-using the old intake tube. The stock intake tubing isn't really all that restrictive unless your motor is highly modified but I like the looks of my new chrome tubing.

mines never melted like that

I've never seen anything like that either, my 98's got the similar OHV 4.0L engine.

My 1994 has similar wear on the input to the throttle body. I would guess a lot of older Exs have this problem.

None of our vehicles (or parts rigs) had that issue. Thats our '92 or the pair of 91's. The orig. tube on our '92 did hit the alternator pulley and get a hole there, but thats another story :)

I can't remember, is the a/c line that goes under the throttle body a hot line? If so, is it rubbing on on the intake tube?

~Mark

If the tube is damaged like this will it effect the performance of the engine? Cause mine is similiar damaged like this one, and when i try to floor it it bogs a bit.

If the tube has a leak anywhere it will let in un-metered air which will make it run lean which will make it run poorly.

The MAF needs to see all the air going to the motor so it knows how much fuel to add. With a leak there is more air going in than it knows about which is bad.

~Mark

Ok today I made a couple of calls and found a new intake Tube for $10. I am going to pick it up tomorrow and get a MAF adapter and a Spector Cone filter.

What length filter should I get?

And as to how it happened I'm not sure but it has definitely affected the performance I could smell the unburned fuel out the tailpipe.

Depends on what you want. You can get any one of those filters that will fit, but be warned...you may need an adapter kit...
http://www.kustomz.com/054094.html

I don't think I will need an adapter since I am getting a MAF adapter that bolts to the MAF then the filter goes on it. Some one correct me if I'm wrong though.

I meant MAF adapter. But thats pretty much right. Bolts right on. Just remember to heat wrap that new intake so this problem doesn't happen to you again.

Back