Broken key hole on the drivers side.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Broken key hole on the drivers side....

fatboy1185

Reaction score
City, State
oregon
The door lock is broken. The key hole on the drivers side door is trashed. Its on a 92 with no power locks. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if the lock it's self is trashed then replace it . but if it looks ok from the outside but spins like it has no friction and is loose then i bet it's the small plastic cam clip on the inside of the door. it attaches onto the back of the lock and operates the control rod to the door latch . most yards will have such a part but not to sure if you can still get that part at the dealer anymore .

If you need to replace the lock and want the key to match, use a locksmith. You'd be pleasantly surprised how little they charge, especially if you drive it to their shop (and they don't have to come out for a service call).

Mike

if you cant get it to turn use pleanty of wd40 slide key in and out a few times quickly. I had not used my door locks in 3 years (remote keyless entry) and to get mine going took quite a while

if your truck was like mine when i looked inside the door when i was replaceing the door latch mech' ....everything inside there that had factory grease was dried up from age.what i did while i was replaceing the latch was to re-grease every thing like the window tracks /pivit arm / all the control rods that are attached to the latch and the inside door handle .i used mobil one sythetic grease ( red colored ) the drivers door should be door of all your doors to see the most use ,now it works better than the passenger door ...i still need to do what i did to the drivers to the passenger door because it is a little slower to orperate everything ( window , locks, etc...)

if you cant get it to turn use pleanty of wd40 slide key in and out a few times quickly. I had not used my door locks in 3 years (remote keyless entry) and to get mine going took quite a while

wd is to light weight ....try some can spray chain lube ...works a lot better and don't run out and dry out like wd does .

Back