Broken Manifold bolt 2000 Mountaineer 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Broken Manifold bolt 2000 Mountaineer 5.0

rileybig

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mountaineer
hello guys....i have a 2000 mountaineer with 59k miles.... i changed my spark plugs this weekend and noticed that one of my wires (passenger side front) was dirty on the outside closest to the plug. after changing my plugs, i checked my manifold bolts (all rusty) and realized that one manifold bolt was broken and being held on by rust (cleveland weather). I found replacement dorman bolts for 8 dollars for four of them. how do i get it out? by looking at the new bolt, it has a little lip between the thread that goes to the engine and the nut. i was going to drill the bolt and use eze out, through the wheel well, but was thinking the lip was there and it won't come out unless i unscrew all the manifold bolts out. i am afraid to snap another one off when i do that... i hope i make sense but i am having a hard time explaining it. i have noticed that my engine sounds like it's ticking for about a minute of driving but would go away. i have trying to get my mileage better.... i am getting about 13 city driving. would like to get more.... do i have to take the whole manifold bolts out to get one or can i try to get it out through the hole while the manifold is still installed. how hard is the job... i have searched the forum for a similar answer but could not find one....probably not looking right.... thanks in advance... will also post pictures of my vehicle shortly....

In addition to this, I heard that you don't have to change the plugs for 100k miles..... Thats a load of you know what... The plugs were shot after 59k.... Good thing I changed it or else I would have problems getting them off later...... Another tip.... Easier to change the plugs through the wheel well.....

Back