Broken manifold to y-pipe bolts...what did you do? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Broken manifold to y-pipe bolts...what did you do?

tuckman

Reaction score
City, State
Elk Point, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer XLT
I am in the middle of a trans swap in my 92 ex and ended up cutting one bolt and twisting the head off of another. Sorry the bolts connecting the y-pipe to the exhaust manifold(s). I know once I get the trans out I will have some more room to work with (I already have the front wheel wells out). I am wondering what you have done to get them out? I now have a torch with map gas but only had propane at the time. I also have a flux core welder but I have to wire in a 220v plug to get it going.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Grade 8 bolts and hardware. It will be a pain (and a two person job) Bit its the best solution. I wasn't about to replace studs in the stock manifolds, so i found a bolt that would just go thru where the stud used to be, and used washers on both sides. You'll have to hold one end and use a ratchet on the other, but it works. It hasnt come loose yet on me.

Take the manifold out and work with it on a bench, it will make it much easier to work on. If you have a torch then I would heat it and then spray PB Blaster on threads, do this several times, this will suck the lubricant into the threads. Get it cherry red and try using a pair of heavy vice grips. If your good at welding you could weld a bolt on end of broken stud.

There is a product called the hush studfix that is made to repair rusted, broken studs for most ford trucks and cars. Its inexpensive,simple and saves you alot of time! Neat web site at studfix.com

I have drilled them out and tapped them. You can also try welding a nut on the busted stud. I have also used a oxy/acetylene to burn out the old stud. I have seen people just put a nut and bolt with washers in the new hole. Taking the heads off is a lot of unnecessary work. The best way to prevent a broken bolt is to heat the manifold where the bolt is till its cherry red, then try to loosen it but never with an impact wrench.

Back