Broken motor mount bolts into the block? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Broken motor mount bolts into the block?

leoJr

Reaction score
City, State
Denton, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 5.0 auto 2wd
Seems this has happened to others too. Both motor mount bolts are broken flush with the block on the passenger side.

1999 5.0, auto trans, rear wheel drive.

It looks like I have a straight line to get a drill and easyout to them. I'll lift it from the top as I do have an engine hoist and this will give me more room underneath to work in.

Anyone have thoughts as to why the factory bolts snapped off or suggestions that might make this task easier?

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

C420sailor

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT SOHC, 99 EB 5.0L
I have one snapped off. I didn’t fix it. I don’t drive the truck hard at all, no problems as of yet.

That said, I would probably try to build up a nub with MIG/stick and then weld a nut onto that, and extract it that way. It’s tight in there, but looks doable. The block is cast iron, and I’ve had great results pulling steel fasteners out of cast iron this way. I had a starter bolt snap off below the surface. Was able to build it up with TIG (lift start works well, had enough access for a TIG torch) and get the nut welded on that. The welding gets the bolt cherry red, which helps with extraction.

Easy as pie if you pull the engine, but that’s a PITA

<

leoJr

Reaction score
City, State
Denton, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 5.0 auto 2wd
I have one snapped off. I didn’t fix it. I don’t drive the truck hard at all, no problems as of yet.

That said, I would probably try to build up a nub with MIG/stick and then weld a nut onto that, and extract it that way. It’s tight in there, but looks doable. The block is cast iron, and I’ve had great results pulling steel fasteners out of cast iron this way. I had a starter bolt snap off below the surface. Was able to build it up with TIG (lift start works well, had enough access for a TIG torch) and get the nut welded on that. The welding gets the bolt cherry red, which helps with extraction.

Easy as pie if you pull the engine, but that’s a PITA
Thanks for the suggestion! I do have a wire feed. If this engine comes out it is getting rebuilt as it has 230k miles on it.

Interesting that your one or my two snapped off.

<

C420sailor

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT SOHC, 99 EB 5.0L
I suspect that my truck was involved in a front end collision and rebuilt. I think that, coupled with corrosion, may have contributed.

<

tinman_72

Reaction score
City, State
North Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD
My '99 2WD 5.0 has this issue on the passenger side. Since (at the time) I planned to pull the engine in several months I just chained it down on that side. It is on an engine stand now, awaiting installation into my '73 F100.
The engine has yellow markings on all the major parts so I assume this is a junkyard engine. I assumed someone was in a hurry and used an impact to install the bolts.

<