• Register Today It's free!

Broken PCM...replace?

joshwho44

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport
I have been experiencing a check engine light and poor gas mileage for the past 5 months. I have had a P0442 evap leak code but the ex passed emissions and on a scanner it shows that the evap system is ok. Every time I have reset the PCM the system monitors report inconclusive but all of them, including the evap system, give the okay after a few drive cycles. Also, my cheap scanner and my mechanic's expensive unit give erroneous values for most of the engine parameters. For example, all of the fuel trims are -100 and the oxygen sensors report 0.0 volts. He says the PCM is shot and I'm starting to believe him.

Today I pulled the PCM and open the case to find two bloated capacitors. One of my friends who is an electrical engineering here at school replaced them for me but it hasn't seemed to make any difference as of yet :(

I guess my next step is to replace the PCM... is it safe to buy one from Autozone or O'Reilleys? I realize I have to get it programmed by Ford after I purchase it...god knows how much we all love the stealerships

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought a PCM a while ago from an auto parts store, and it was good. The second one was purchased for a different vehicle, and I had a problem with Autozone taking it back. They told me to contact the manufacturer. The manufacturer never responded to my emails, and I still have it sitting around for about 5 years. Use a credit card when you purchase a new PCM just in case they give you a hard time.

Haha I hope they aren't too picky about the core... my friend has been soldering new components to the board but I doubt they will notice that ;)

The guy on the phone at autozone told me I would need to have the new PCM flashed which didn't really surprise me. Can Ford do this out of vehicle or do I need to get the X to them with the new PCM installed already?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I read on the forum that 98 was the first year for PATS, so would I be able to have this flashed without being installed in the vehicle? The guy at the dealership said I have PATS but when I got a spare key made last year I did it at Lowes... no fancy keys that need to be programmed... so that kinda confused me

Dear Sirs,
How much is a PCM for Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2001 model. I dont know what is part number but this is what the stickers read:

EEC-V MP2-111 00K24 JXV2
1L2F-12A650AAC G
6BXA111A04-AC 23257-1612

Unable to check my VIN at this time as my truc in not here at my present location.
Intend to order said part

Kindly assist I tried to register and find exact part in Ford Website but not successful

can i use a pcm from a different truck installed on my truck, I have pats and security lights blink when i try to put the used pcm on my truck, what can i do?
any help pls?/??

The security light will blink because you are using a key that is not programmed to the new pcm. You can get a used pcm but make sure it comes from the same year and model. You need to get your keys programmed to it. If you know someone with ford ids/vcm they can do it easily.

I have a 2007 Ford Explorer 4.0 L V6, My PCM isnt working the car just dies when I start it. How do I get a replacement, and is there a place that will program it to my cars VIN? If at all possible is there somewhere locally that I can have it done? I live in Sacramento California. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks in advance.

pcm can be found at a local JY, not sure if new still around...

I have a 2007 Ford Explorer 4.0 L V6, My PCM isnt working the car just dies when I start it. How do I get a replacement, and is there a place that will program it to my cars VIN? If at all possible is there somewhere locally that I can have it done? I live in Sacramento California. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks in advance.
What makes you think it’s the PCM?

Back