• Register Today It's free!

Broken pigtail antenna

awd_sr

Reaction score
City, State
Bowie, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
Hey everyone, this is my first post so I'm hoping you can help me out.

I have a 2011 Explorer Limited, my wife broke the pigtail portion of the antenna off the truck backing out of the garage (I'll leave that alone since this isn't a Marriage Venting forum, lol). The metal connector snapped off so I'll probably have to replace the entire assembly (GPS shark fin part that the pigtail plugs into). I saw the aftermarket shark fin antennas, but it looks like those screw on, so that wont work since the part is broke. Dealership quoted $400 to repair..... uhhhhh, I need to do this myself!

Does anyone have any insight? Dealer said the headliner will need to be removed. Thanks.

Tony

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Tony, welcome to the Forum.

Unfortunately, I don't have any insight for you. Seems like a simple repair (hey, just replacing a part on the outside of the car, right?), but those can be the trickiest! Where's the Chilton when you need it? :)

I think it bolts to the roof from the inside though... :(

And in my days I've ruined plenty of trim inside the car messing with the audio system, I'd hate to do that to the truck!

I get where you are coming from, and considering a new headliner runs about $1,700 on Fordparts.com if the original gets damaged, I'm thinking the $400 seems like a better deal. Of course, you could be a gambling man :)

In my family, we'd just pay the $400 and I would pick on my wife until I broke something. There the fun would stop for me, and we would be even, until I broke the next thing. We are always telling each other "That's why we can't have nice things!", lol. It's marriage, gotta have a sense of humor :D

Maybe you can the solder wire instead of the bolting the shark fin?

The fin would cover the whole antenna mount.

ummm, use an easy-out. You simply drill a starter hole in the center of the broken screw post, insert the easy-out, and turn it out....

I have a 2011 Explorer Limited, my wife broke the pigtail portion of the antenna off the truck backing out of the garage (I'll leave that alone since this isn't a Marriage Venting forum, lol). The metal connector snapped off so I'll probably have to replace the entire assembly (GPS shark fin part that the pigtail plugs into). I saw the aftermarket shark fin antennas, but it looks like those screw on, so that wont work since the part is broke. Dealership quoted $400 to repair..... uhhhhh, I need to do this myself!

Does anyone have any insight? Dealer said the headliner will need to be removed. Thanks.

Tony
Welcome to the Forum awd_sr.:wavey:
One of our members posted pictures of the fin. I'll see if I can find it.

A picture is shown on page 2 of the following thread. It looks like the fin's internal antenna must be screwed into the same place that yours broke off from.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343141&highlight=shark

I know I've seen a more detailed explanation of the installation somewhere.

Peter

You know, 3M tape is pretty amazing stuff, Im thinking for the shark fin.

The do make a marine grade double back foam version, I have used it on my boat about 6 years ago and it has weathered anything you can throw at it.

Jus saying

thanks for the help everyone. I'm going to take a closer look at the stock antenna assembly tonight to see if soldering that wire will do the trick. I'm not sure an easy-out will work since its the threaded male-end on the roof itself, and the female portion is attached to the pigtail. So part of the threaded adapter snapped off and is inside the pigtail... I'll get some pics up, maybe this can help someone else out in the future

Tony

Same thing happened today! Did you end up fixing this? Looking at taking the headliner down to fix, and it looks like a lot.

Hey Ted22,

Yep, I "fixed" it. I ended up using the screw extractor to remove the broken off part of the old antenna. I bought the fin antenna linked above and installed it. Looks great, has a lower profile, so I wont have to worry about that happening again! I bet you might be able to find another pigtail at a junkyard maybe if interested. Good luck!

Tony

Hey Ted22,

Yep, I "fixed" it. I ended up using the screw extractor to remove the broken off part of the old antenna. I bought the fin antenna linked above and installed it. Looks great, has a lower profile, so I wont have to worry about that happening again! I bet you might be able to find another pigtail at a junkyard maybe if interested. Good luck!

Tony
Did not expect such a quick reply! THANKS!!!

Looks like the stubby antenna would work as I have already gotten the broken piece out, but I'm worried about leaking... She bent the whole assembly back with the garage door, so there is an area that can leak... the antenna body is not flush with the roof anymore.

I looked at removing the head liner, and seems to be an entire PITA! I'm thinking the sharkfin is the best solution at this point.

no problem Ted! I was in the exact same boat, the assembly was coming up from the roof and needed to be tightened from the inside. The fin assembly uses a 2-sided tape/gasket so would seal the area beneath it.

no problem Ted! I was in the exact same boat, the assembly was coming up from the roof and needed to be tightened from the inside. The fin assembly uses a 2-sided tape/gasket so would seal the area beneath it.

how did you tighten it from the inside? thanks again!

Thats the one. I didnt have to tighten it since the fin covers the old assembly, sorry about that. I would have had to take the headliner down.

If you combine, cheap, frugal, stupidity, and risk taking... you don't have to take the interior apart!

I managed to unscrew the antenna from the inside, using the interior light hole. Had about 1/1000's turn with a wrench, and took two hours... or as long as this thread took...

Anyway, once I got the screw off (almost dropped, and BTW non magnetic, if it drops it's gone!)... pulled the antenna out just enough to bend the roof back into shape. Then there is a crush washer type of thing... I straightened it back enough to crush back into shape... then put it back together. Antenna is tight against the roof! Now I can get away with just getting the stock stubby antenna.

Also, was able to reseat the wheel on the garage door, and bend that back... all in all a good day!

Edit: can't figure out how to post pic... Sorry!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you combine, cheap, frugal, stupidity, and risk taking... you don't have to take the interior apart!

I managed to unscrew the antenna from the inside, using the interior light hole. Had about 1/1000's turn with a wrench, and took two hours... or as long as this thread took...

Anyway, once I got the screw off (almost dropped, and BTW non magnetic, if it drops it's gone!)... pulled the antenna out just enough to bend the roof back into shape. Then there is a crush washer type of thing... I straightened it back enough to crush back into shape... then put it back together. Antenna is tight against the roof! Now I can get away with just getting the stock stubby antenna.

Also, was able to reseat the wheel on the garage door, and bend that back... all in all a good day!

Edit: can't figure out how to post pic... Sorry!
Go to the New Member site and there are a couple of threads on posting pictures;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Or you can take out an Elite membership and use the Manage Attachments feature.

Peter

Back