Broken Rear Spring | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Broken Rear Spring

trucku

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Queens, New York and living in Budd Lake, NJ now.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS 4.0 4x4
The Spring Gremlins have finally found me. Both rear springs are broken.
Few weeks ago I remember thinking to myself that the truck looked like it was sitting funny. I should have went with my gut feeling and take a peek at the springs then.

I will be talking her to the dealer after I get back from vacation. My wife is all worried about driving 5 hours in the truck now.

Phone pic is low quality, but you can see the broken part.

Attachments

• broken.JPG
    broken.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 729
  • broken1.JPG
    broken1.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 550

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

jesus...i need to check mine to see if they are fine...Hope you can tranq the wife long enough to get to your destination...because unless you have a couple(and by a couple i mean 7-9) hours to do the swap...it wont be a fast or easy fix...ive read about people driving with them broken for months before they realized...but to be on the safe side, id fix em.

Note that since the spring broke where the resulting new 'end' is landing on the spring mount, you need not panic and do an emergency road side repair. You'll be fine, take your time and do it right.

Good Luck.:thumbsup:

Planning to take the truck into the dealer by next week. The truck drove fine. You can tell the left side is sagging a bit more than the right side.

If they are not covered by my warranty, they I will have to go the quick strut route.

How long did it take you for the whole job?

Where'd you find quickstruts for an explorer?

awesome. My dealer wont take the truck till next week. I might just go ahead and order the whole deal and do it out of pocket. It will be nice getting new struts too, so looks like rockauto.com it is.

Thanks Ambulanceonfire.

I have a 20 hour road trip (10 ea way) coming up in November and wonder if i should get this done b4 i go?

I have a 20 hour road trip (10 ea way) coming up in November and wonder if i should get this done b4 i go?

I drove about 5+ hours to Cape Cod from NYC without any issues. I did have the back loaded with a full cooler, lots travel stuff. Normally unloaded the back bounces a bit.

I would suggest you change them, if you can. Its better to be safe than sorry.

Back