• Register Today It's free!

broken spark plugs

slim

Reaction score
City, State
monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 sport
2006 mountaineer 4.6 v8. What is the best way to remove a broken spark plug? To me these are not normal plugs. I have three of them I cannot remove and are broken in different ways.

1. is broken off where the thread would end, the last inch of the electrode is in the hole.

2. the hex part of the sleeve twisted off. So the rest of the plus is still fully threaded.

3. just the sleeve has backed out but the still on the plug. this is what the first on did but I kept working it until I got the sleeve out and later broke off the plug.

slim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's pretty scarey since they're aluminum heads. How many miles do you have? I'm looking into some iridium plugs soon.

I have 91 k miles on it. And yes I was pretty scared when the first on broke. So When I ended up with 3 busted plug it was difficult to sleep.

Anyway the plugs in the picture look just like the ones I dug out of my heads.

I think hole leading to the plug has a metal sleeve, and the way the tool is designed it is difficult to cross thread anything. Also, I called the teck support that came with the tool and they were great, the guy even gave me his cell phone number, and sent me pictures and the link I posted. I do not want to post the pictures he gave me without permission, I could just take my own pictures. Still, it was a nerve racking experience.

A couple of places told me to pull the heads. So I was happy to hear there was a tool that pull out these broken plugs.

I think I am going to start spraying some wd40 around the plug once year or something.

slim

Do you guys know if the 4 liter V6 uses the same type plugs? I was amazed to see how long the electrode and insulator is on these V8 plugs. This scares me enough to not want to change my own plugs on the V6 but they look so easy to get at.>>>AJ

Thx Lukas2009. Makes me feel a lot better.>>>AJ

4.6l 3V spark plug removal

Ford has a TSB dated 4-1-08, it's 08-7-6 that gives instructions on how to remove the plugs so they do not break upon removal. It also has instructions on what tools to use and how to remove them if they do break. It covers 4.6l 3V, 5.4l 3V and 6.8l 3V engines.

Ford has a TSB dated 4-1-08, it's 08-7-6 that gives instructions on how to remove the plugs so they do not break upon removal. It also has instructions on what tools to use and how to remove them if they do break. It covers 4.6l 3V, 5.4l 3V and 6.8l 3V engines.

Trust me, I wish I had some warning before I started pulling plugs. I was completely unaware of what I was messing with. Anyone working with these plugs should be careful.

Slim was your truck room temperature when changing plugs, and did you use llubricants?

I have a 2007 mountaineer 4.6 with 92,000. I just would like any advise if possible. if all goes wrong I guess i will just have to rip off the head for high performace heads!!!

Hey vip how is it going. I did the work in my attaches garage. Michigan in march, it was probably around fifty degrees in the garage. I used PB buster after i realized what was happening. I was just expecting a quick plug change. If you truck is running good I would put it off a while and keep spraying it with whatever lubricate you like. Then when the time comes make sure you have the plug removal tool available. Try to be careful but the plugs are week so if they break, they break. Also, they gave some torque specks for the plugs that i think is a little much. Use your judgment when torqueing down the new plugs.
Good luck

slim

I believe that all 4.6 and 5.4 V8s have these two piece plugs, and thus this problem of breaking them. This is one of the biggest blunders in Ford's history in my opinion.

The spark plugs shown in this article look quite different to the original Motorcraft SP412 spark plugs.
Sure that they come from an Explorer?

The plugs shown are the plugs from the 4.6 V8.

I just changed mine at 60,000 miles and they did need to be changed. Fortunately, I was able to return the spark plug removal tool because all eight plugs came out no problem. No squeeking and very little popping. Just remember anti seize and propper torque when reinstalling. According to my Haynes manual 25 ft. lbs. of torque.

Do you have to replace them with the same Motorcraft plugs? I'd imagine that after going through the headache of getting these out, I'd want to replace them with more of a standard-type plug. Is that an option?

Do you have to replace them with the same Motorcraft plugs? I'd imagine that after going through the headache of getting these out, I'd want to replace them with more of a standard-type plug. Is that an option?

I believe there is a Champion plug that replaces the original, but I'm not positive.

I switched over to Autolite HT1 and got lucky with no broken plugs. Just go slow when screwing them out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe there is a Champion plug that replaces the original, but I'm not positive.

Yes, there is a one piece Champion. At $28.00 per plug.

Back