Broken suspension bushing - what is it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Broken suspension bushing - what is it?

TedStryker

Reaction score
City, State
Rancho Cordova, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer 4x4 Limited
Hello,
I've noticed lately that whenever my front driver side wheel strikes a bump in the road (big or small, slow or fast) I hear a rather disturbing "thump" coming from that side of the undercarriage. I crawled underneath to explore a bit, and found what appears to be a rubber bushing missing from that side where some kind of support rod connects to the frame. (I think - I'm not terribly experienced with such matters.) I also found chunks of rubber in my driver - I suspect from the part that disintegrated.

Anyhow, I've attached some photos. Can somebody tell me what the problem is here and if somebody who's fairly handy with tool but not a car expert can DIY it?

Many thanks for your help!

Photo of "good" side (passenger)
ju8uc5.jpg

Photo of "bad" side (driver)
ap8ly8.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Deff need new radius arm bushing

Wonderful, thanks!

Looks like a tough job for a layperson. I'll inventory my tools and make a decision. Thanks again for posting the link.

Only tools needed are an 1 1/8 (if I remember correctly) wrench, an angle grinder, a jack, and a couple jack stands. It's an easy job.

Back