broken wheel stud and cant get drum off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

broken wheel stud and cant get drum off

edavillenut

Reaction score
City, State
pepperell ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Eddie Bauer
i was doing a little work on my exploder today and i noticed the pass rear wheel only had 4 lugs on it so i looked and the stud was snaped off and the other 4 are bent. what can i do. i tried to pull the drum off but it will not budge losened the adjuster and the drums shoes and hard ware is less than 3 months old why cant i get the drum off. and how much would it cost for a shop to replace all 5 studs on the pass side rear

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is your parking brake engaged?

Brock94 said:
Is your parking brake engaged?
no i thought it was but i checked and its not the drum will not move i cant understand why

isnt the drum just supposed to pull right off? maybe not. My drivers side one just pulls right off, but my passenger side one wont come off.

the same thing with mine drivers side comes right off but not the pass

I had my parking brakes on the first time I tried this and it took me an hour to figure that out!

If you've solved this problem, then ignore, but here are a few more thoughts:

The drum should just slide right off when you've loosened the brakes with the adjuster.

1) I assume from your description (re new hardware) that the brake drum has been removed recently for service, so rust shouldn't be holding it on. (If rust is a possibility then put tons of your favorite penetrating oil in where the studs meet the drum and let it soak in for a few hours.)

2) You said the existing studs are bent, could they be locking the drum in place? If so you could cut them off since they'll need to be replaced anyway.

That's all I can think of for now. Let us know how it turned out.

spent anothe 2 hours trying to get the drum off i finally got it off because i gave up and wnet in my shed and got a 15 lb sludge hammer 2 light hits and it poped right off. have no idea what was holding it on. now i just have to find a part store that has the wheel studs i have. called 4 of them today and none of them have any in stock and one only had 1 i need 5. thanks for the help guys if it wasent for you and my mustang site i would never have a car that moved. atleast i got to drive my 68 stang around all day

Note to self: Return wrenches, buy bigger hammer.

Glad to hear it wasn't all bad-- the 68 stang part I mean

yea, my drums all require a sledge to get them free. i just think its tight tolerances that cause it to stick with a friction fit. might as well replace your lugs. no need to pull the axle, just put the lugs in posisition, place the drum back on(carefully) and torque the lugnuts as far as you can. this will pull the studs in and secure them. then loosen and torque to spec.

Back