• Register Today It's free!

Bronco 2 dies once heated

bartgillam

Reaction score
City, State
north augusta south carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 mercury mountaineer
Ok i posted a thread before about this and today i went and changed the ignition coil and it wont start (its very hot outside so i imagine the part that hates heat is already hot) To recap my truck will start when its cold but once it warms up for about 10-15 minutes or once its very hot outside it will not crank or if it did crank it would die relatively quickly once it heats up. The parts i have changed are the ignition module, ignition coil, spark plug wires, spark plugs within the last year or 2, had previously changed the fuel pump relay (also as an side note on this post if anyone can tell me how to bypass all my relays on the passenger firewall and make them have toggle switches and i just switch them on that would be great). I might have changed some other small parts but that is about it. I know its getting gas because i can press the pressure release beside the engine and fuel spews out. I am not getting spark but like i said when its cold i do. I imagine it is something electrical grounding out and causing me to not get spark but i cant think of what it is. I would like to try to bypass all the relays on the passenger fender and see if thats an issue because those things are in the worst spot and it would be so much easier if they were on a toggle and i could eliminate them i have already put the fuel pump relay on a toggle but its still tied into the relay itself id rather just eliminate them all. Aside from the relays anyone have any suggestions? Its not a rush or anything i have my mountaineer but i love my bronco 2 and would hate to have to crush it but its coming down to that if i cant get it fixed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know on my 84 that it would cut off on it's own with no spark. Problem was at the steering column. Took off the plastic housing and there were several wire harnesses. Found out one was loose. It would just wobble around and fire when ever the wobble was right lol. I would crank it over while wiggling the connector and then it would fire.
Zip tie corrected that. But the cold thing throws me a curve. Unless it's a expansion contraction thing.

Thats what i think it is something expanding and contracting when cold again..i just cant figure out what to check..sucks..wish it was just something i could figure out by testing but this damn truck has so many wires under the hood and different plugs and junk..86 was a very wire happy year..lol

Anyone have a diagram to paper clip bypass the relays? im not afraid to cut wires and solder im pretty handy at it but im just not sure what to cut and solder i googled but that was a useless try

it sounds like a tfi module its on the distributor i had the same issue with my b2 and swapped in a new one and it hasn't given me any trouble yet

Back