Bronco II 2.9 stalling and smells rich | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bronco II 2.9 stalling and smells rich

andyschlader

Reaction score
City, State
Freeland, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1989 Bronco II
Hi, I have a 1989 Bronco II with a 2.9. It will randomly loose power and backfire. When this happens is usually during deceleration and the truck will reek of gas and idle at 2-300 RPM. When i turn off the beast it will restart but run rough. When you give her some throttle it revs to 1000 rpm and then drops back to 2-300 rpm. If the truck sits for 5-10 min it will restart and run fine. I have replaced the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, ignition module, coil. Fuel pressure reads 40 psi when it dies so im thinking its not the fuel pump. Catalytic converters have been removed and the fuel filter has been changed. I dont know what to try next? Computer, o2 sensor, MAP sensor, fuel pressure reg????? No idiot lights come on and there are no codes... I'm lost.

Thanks for the help

get some SeaFoam and run through the PCV Valce to clean out the junk in the motor its in a white can with a red label, make sure plugs are correctly gap'd, also the fuel filter under the drivers door , replace it (yes ive gotten a plug'd one a time or 2 from part stores; one reason i dont shop NAPA anymore) ... should even out

i would suggest adjust your idle to idle around 1k ... thats where i have mine at and it idles just fine with no dips or bogs... only time i bog is when im running late and i have to push it when she is cold...

id be willing to bet money the SeaFoam will fix the issue.... also maybe an issue with the FanClutch? i dont know, but ive heard that may lead to the casue as well...

Try the EGR valve? Mine was stuck/burnt open. Passed emissions after replacement but still backfires a little on deceleration.

sounds more to me like you are having an ignition issue, check the module on the back of the distributor, its a known failure point, an ignition system tune up can't hurt either. I had the wires for my o2 sensor melting to my exhaust pipe, it was causing the computer to dump fuel into the engine bk it wasn't getting input from the sensor, you could give it a once over and check for stuff like that as well.

Back