I have a 87 Bronco II 4wd, 2,9L Fm145 transmission 4wd

Project:
Engine : 351w 5.8L carbed from a E – 250 1979
Transmission : Automatic C6
Transfer : np-205
Axles : Front Dana 44 No-slip / Rear Dana 60 No-slip
Tires : 35“ – 38“ have not decided yet

Progress :
I have pulled the 2,9L engine and transmission out of the bronco II.
And also pulled the 351w and c6 out of the econoline.
Now I´m just gathering info on the swap, how to this and that, also wondering what Headers/Manifolds to use, I have heard that there is a major clearance problem with the steering shaft and the manifolds.
I´m also wondering what Oil pan to use, and what motormount´s ......
If someone has a clue or experiance please all help is appreciated..
I will post pictures and more when I have gotten further.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you need to see the Gen I explorer / 351 conversions that have been done

the 351 is a HUGE SOB under a BII hood but it can be done

Exhaust manifolds are tricky, aftermarket headers may be made to work, either way its a tight fit if not impossible without body/frame mods.
Do you have a body lift?

You will have major clearance issues with the stock steering shaft, passenger side frame rail, and of course the heater box.... but it can and has been done before

good luck!!

I have a GT-40p 5.0L with a 4r70w auto under my 88's hood... I run TM headers, the fit of the 5.0L is right at home in the Gen I Ranger frame

So I understand, if you are doing the D44 swap the stock oil pan should not be a problem, if you keep the TTb, you will need a double sump pan, Duff wants $199 for it, I see a chrome one on this site for less then half that, plus quite an array of other oil pans, as well as many 5.0 parts.
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/products/Mustang-Oil-Pans-And-Gaskets
You may also want to have a look here:
http://www.jamesduff.com/broncoII/v8conversion.html
Hope that gets you started.

Ray

Thanks Clem !

I´ll probably buy the chrome dual sump pan, It´s much cheaper and cooler.
But do you guys think I could use the stock motor mount´s that came with the econoline ? By looking at them they look very high up ? I just bought 2 pairs of used headers that are made for tight clearance got them for 75$
I´ll use them as a guide or just see If they fit, If they do I´ll get new ones just the same. I also bought the oil filter relocator, but I wont get it until next week, because of where I live..... Iceland :) haha

But thanks guys, As soon as I get the oil filter relocator I will begin putting the engine in the hood and check out how it fit´s and what has to be done to make it fit. I´ll take pictures and show you.

Best regards
Oddur

The chrome one from late model restoration is for a 5.0, not a 5.8l.

Thanks Clem !

Best regards
Oddur

Thanks Clem !

But do you guys think I could use the stock motor mount´s that came with the econoline ? By looking at them they look very high up ? I just bought 2 pairs of used headers that are made for tight clearance got them for 75$
I´ll use them as a guide or just see If they fit, If they do I´ll get new ones just the same. I also bought the oil filter relocator, but I wont get it until next week, because of where I live..... Iceland :) haha

But thanks guys, As soon as I get the oil filter relocator I will begin putting the engine in the hood and check out how it fit´s and what has to be done to make it fit. I´ll take pictures and show you.

Best regards
Oddur
What headers did you end up using?

Back