Bronco ii/ 99 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bronco ii/ 99 Explorer

BRONCOIIROOKIE

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer/88 BroncoII
I just had the bright idea to buy a Bronco ii for less than $200 at the auction. Rather than turning around and scrapping Ive decided to build a rig. Ive builtmy share of CJs but this one is popping my Ford cherry. I also have a 99 explorer that has an engine and transmission on its last leg. So ive decided to scrap the Exploder, keep the wheels and tires, rear 8.8 axle however, I cant find if the T-Case is worth keeping (i am under the assumption that it hasnt been used too much). Iv read that the tires and the axle is doable but what else from unferneath (ie exhaust, shocks, leafs, etc) of the exploder could bolt up? Or am I better off sticking with the stock 7.5? Ive got a Dana 44 off my old CJ thats going up front

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not much is gonna swap, pretty different trucks. Don't keep the 7.5 swap in the 8.8

Ditto on the 8.8

The 8.8 will swap with some work and you can switch from drum rear brakes to discs at the same time. You may need to buy a master cylinder from a 95 base model Explorer for the conversion though.

Doubting the D44 from a CJ will be wide enough.

I would suggest finding a D35 frontend from a 1st-gen Explorer ('91-'94), it's a bolt-in swap for your D28 outside of possibly having to shorten the driveshaft an inch if you're not lifted. The D35 has a number of parts in common with the D44 making it a good sturdy frontend.

Check out my rig, maybe get some ideas.

\/ \/

Back