Bronco ii Camper | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bronco ii Camper

p_00018-1.jpg

Going to have to add another / after the Trailer/Camper.

p_00020-1.jpg

Now it's the Trailer/Camper/Mobil Deer Blind. Hey, I'm paying insurance and tag money for this thing, why let it stand around not earning it's keep :p:

I'm so glad that the B2 I bought for the Trailer idea had one of those rear windows that open up while the hatch stays closed.
Just hook-up my little propane stove and load the on-board cooler up with drinks. No alcohol.

Hmm, somekind of fold out ladder stand on top sounds good also.

This is also posted on my build thread, but some may not be interested in the build but might be in the Camper. But the complete build of this camper/trailer is.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gonna follow this one Interesting idea........

So far how does handle on the road ?

IMG_0072.jpg

Good question. Since the Bronco ii was never intended to be a trailer, a little tweaking here and there had to be done.
At first I thought that the gas tank would be a good auxiliary fuel source. Could pump or drain out for whatever needed to be filled up....Wrong.
What happened was that when 1/2 or more filled, the sloshing back and forth in the tank transmitted the force to the trailer tongue. When going around a turn or hitting a bump the trailer kept swaying from side to side.
So I installed 2 additional shocks. Two were even outboard shocks. It helped a little. But not untill I removed the tank altogether did the swaying stop.

IMG_0002-1.jpg

Next was to add a little tongue weight via tool box and propane tank.

IMG_0409.jpg

Had to add some telescoping legs in the rear to keep it from going belly up when climbing inside. I found out the hard way LOL.

IMG_0435-2.jpg

Of coarse any camper needs a cooler. After removing gas tank I just cut in an on-board cooler with bottom drain. The lid is open in this pic but closes flush with floor.

IMG_0003-1.jpg

Since it is too short to sleep in, a fold out bed/table was made. Just throw tarp over or my later plan is to buy one of those tents made to hook over hatch back SUVs.

I also have a cargo light mounted on backside above tongue end. And one interior light inside. These only come on when hooked to B2. Future plans call for a deep cycle batt hook-up so I'll have 12v when disconnected from truck.

Is that a parking brake lever I see? That would be handy on a trailer....

IMG_0002-1.jpg

Yes that is a parking brake. Or least it was. I found out when moving the trailer in the garage that sometimes it would not role as easy. It was the brake shoes not fully disengaging. Wonder how many times that happens on a rear drum brake truck. It was just enough that I could tell when manually moving trailer. Never noticed when towing.
So now I removed all brakes.
My plan is to put a disc of some sort on the pinion snout and have one of those smaller calipers that you pull a cable to hold it. They make one just for this type of application for hot rods.

Yes it definitely needs the red tube bumper. I'm just never going to get these builds finished HA HA

Back