• Register Today It's free!

Bronco II Leaf Spring Swap

89-B-II-XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1989 Bronco II
I have a 1989 Bronco II 4x4 that is sagging quite a bit. Im a rookie on this type of stuff so please feel free to give me advice. Iv read that you could change the stock leaf springs from a Bronco and fit them with Explorer springs. After some searching I found these http://www.amazon.com/Explorer-Pro-Comp-51423-Powdercoated/dp/B000CNIO7G
Should these work with my vehicle? And what else will I need for the swap? Can I use the original parts that are there and just swap the springs?

Any Info is greatly appreciated :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 1989 Bronco II 4x4 that is sagging quite a bit. Im a rookie on this type of stuff so please feel free to give me advice. Iv read that you could change the stock leaf springs from a Bronco and fit them with Explorer springs. After some searching I found these http://www.amazon.com/Explorer-Pro-Comp-51423-Powdercoated/dp/B000CNIO7G
Should these work with my vehicle? And what else will I need for the swap? Can I use the original parts that are there and just swap the springs?

Any Info is greatly appreciated :D

I would just jack the truck up, (carefully) chop the U bolts unles you can get them apart easily (lots of rust up here so not even worth trying). And bring them in to an automotive shop and they should be able to re arc your springs. That way all you need is new u bolts if you need to cut them. Just a thought. I know a brake shop around here that will re-arc leaf springs. Worth a shot if you can find some place, rather than cobbing up some explorer ones that will probably be way bumpier because they are for a larger vehicle, and most likely more stiff.

Worth a shot.

Yes Explorer leaf packs will bolt right up and give you about 1.5" to 2" of lift to boot. The ride isn't noticably stiffer.

Also check the local junk yards, you should be able to get both laef packs for less than $50

if your wanting the 2" lift, the Belltech 6400 shackles would be better from Summit and its easier to do... if u do the leaf springs, u have to rotate the U Bolt and center bolts...

i run the Belltechs, and love them ....

then for u front get some 2" coils...

does any ford explorer leaf pack work or is there a certain code? like U X or V?

Any '91-'01 leaf packs. Use 4-door ones if you want the most lift/stiffest.

Stay away from fiberglass ones occasionally seen on some Sports.

awesome got myself a pair of 91 explorer leaf springs today for 75 bux.

Back