• Register Today It's free!

Bronco II Power Mirrors ???

Dave01234

Reaction score
City, State
Irwin (Near Pittsburgh) PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 X, 89 Bronco II
I have a 1989 Bronco II XLT has power windows and door lock but no power mirrors. Can anybody tell if there was a power mirror option for the 2nd gen Bronco II. If not has anybody done a power mirror mod and if so what did you use for the donor? I really miss that option guess I'm getting lazy as I get older. If anyone has any ideas please post. Also I want to publicly thank BrooklynBay. He helped me with my Explorer tranny and was super fast with his replies considering he must get hundreds of PM's. Don't know how he does it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I really searched and searched on this very issue because i was tearing an ex apart for parts for my bII and my buddy suggested i put the mirrors off the ex on the bII so i would have power mirrors, I really don't think the bII ever came with power mirrors. but if you do the swap let me know bk i think that would be a fun down the road proj

I have wondered about the same thing. It looks to me that the contour of the F150 door is about the same as a BII, so these might work. If you do it, make sure to use the backing plates from the F150 if they have them.

Bill

they never came with the option.... the mirrors from a late full-size bronco would work though. I am pretty sure it would be a close if not perfect bolt hole line-up:
Picture1824.jpg

Thanks guys for your replies. Ragajungle I will look hard at those late Full Size Bronco Mirrors. If I find something that bolts right up or works with little effort I will post my findings. I live about a mile from a u-pull-it junk yard its not a very big yard but maybe I'll take a walk around and see what they have. Thanks again

Dave,

Yes, please let us know. If you find the mirrors, make sure you get the control and as much wiring as you can get from the donor vehicle. Probably will need to power these mirrors from an accessory side fuse - even an "in-line" fuse in the circuit might be a good idea to isolate the mirror circuit.

I installed the "western style" mirrors on my 88 BII, had to drill the doors and install the brackets that reinforce the mirrors and the door. Still much better than the little door mirrors that it came with. Even the wind "adjusted" the mirrors on every trip.

If the full size Bronco or F-150 mirrors fit and work, that would be a great improvement over either the "western" or the stock body mirrors.

Keep us informed.

Bill

Bill, I will update this thread if I find something that works. Give me a couple of weeks I have alot going on right now. I'm going to get the wiring and the control switch from the donor.

I have the 1989 Ranger/Bronco II Ford EVTM (Electrical, Vacuum, Trouble-Shooting Manual) on page 121 they have a wiring diagram and talk about Power Outside Mirrors. They don't say if it is just for the Ranger or both Ranger and Bronco II. I have to get to the bottom of this and find out if there was a outside power mirror option for the Bronco II.

I have the 1989 Ranger/Bronco II Ford EVTM (Electrical, Vacuum, Trouble-Shooting Manual) on page 121 they have a wiring diagram and talk about Power Outside Mirrors. They don't say if it is just for the Ranger or both Ranger and Bronco II. I have to get to the bottom of this and find out if there was a outside power mirror option for the Bronco II.

Prolly b/c B2 and ranger share the same doors... As far as I know though the neither came w/ pwr mirrors... I would guess that Ford used a generic Wiring Harness and Power Distribution Box for Aerostar, Ranger, Bronco II - Aerostar started getting power mirrors in 1989

Dave,

From the previous post by rajajungle, perhaps the Aerostar mirrors might work. Don't remember anything about the Aerostar including the shape of the doors. It was somehow a distant 'cousin" of the BII and Ranger.

If anything good could come out of an Aerostar - it might be the power mirrors!

Bill

Bill, I took a quick look at Aerostar mirrors all years definitely will not work.

Full size Bronco definitely has possibilities. My local u-pull junk yard did not have any mid 90's Full size Bronco's. I'll have to take a ride to another u-pull. Because scrap prices are so high they are crushing the older stuff at an unbelievable rate. If you think you want to change something on your rig (interior color, engine/axle swap) do it now or at least get the parts now cause they are disappearing fast. Not ready to close this thread yet need to do a little research.

SUBSCRIBED! I am going to the JY tomorrow. I know for a fact they have several 83-92 Rangers, and a few Full Size Broncs... I'll see if they fit and post back, I may even grab a couple pics too.

this is a hotter topic than i ever would have envisioned. blowing up my email! :chug: yes thats my favorite emoticon or wtf ever they are called

If you at the JY, if you could find a horn contact (behind steering wheel in column. Two contacts in a plastic box with a wires down the column), I would gladly pay you for it. Can't find one here, can't buy a new one. Am interested in the mirror project also.

Thanks,

Bill

Still looking for 92-96 full size Bronco Mirrors. I will keep you posted

Dave,

A worthy project to find the OJ Bronco mirrors. I will start looking here, there are a few yards that don't crush every vehicle.

The worst thing that ever happened to car collectors is Obama's "cash for clunkers". A totals financial disaster for our country so that a few car dealers could make a profit.

Make sure you remember when you vote this fall and in 2012. Idoits at the helm.

I will keep you posted.

Bill

Going to the u-pull-it salvage yard tomorrow. Looks like Ragajungle might be right. Looks like the best chance for power mirrors will come from a 92-96 Full size Bronco or 92-96 F150. Hopefully I will be able to find something and get the wiring and the control switch. I'll update if I find something.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dave I went this last weekend but apparently it was "crunch time" for all the full size Broncs there and all the f150's didnt have mirrors... Otherwise I was gonna size them up on a gen 1 ranger. It will be sharp if someone does it!

Also I asked the JY why all the C4C cars and trucks are gone now, they say it's b/c they had til July 31st to crush them :-(

Back