Stephen

Moderator In Memoriam
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited
Some of you might have heard that in the future the 2 door Explorers will not carry the Explorer name, these trucks will be called Bronco, and as we have seen with the 2001 Explorer, have styling differentiation between the2 and 4 door. This is either a pro or a con, I don't think it really matters what the truck is called, the following will be the same. Thoughts?

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
97 Explorer Limited 4X4 SOHC V6
98 Lexus LS400

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it's great to revive the Bronco name, especially since the Explorer really was developed on the Bronco idea, which was downscaled to the Bronco II and build on the compact pickup truck frame (Ranger) and than expanded to 4 doors. If I remember right, the Bronco and Bronco II were available only as 2 door models. So, going back to the original name for the 2 doors seems appropriate.

------------------
Peter
'99 Sport 4wd SOHC

[This message has been edited by Peter Weber (edited 03-26-2000).]

I wouldn't be surprised, after all there was a full sized, enclosed (panel style) truck version in the 50's called the Ranger, and there were Explorer and Ranger names on the F-series trucks at various times. Also an Explorer package on the early 70's big Bronco, etc. Ford clearly gets a lot of use out of the names! I would welcome it, the Bronco name is well respected and belongs in the line-up.

Along car-oriented lines, I saw a blurb somewhere (seems like it was Design News magazine) that said Ford was considering making the Taurus a wagon type SUV and introducing a new standard passenger car using either the Falcon or Fairlane name. Those guys down in Australia have had some nice Falcons to play with for years now so this wouldn't surprise me either. Wish I could find the magazine for more specifics, but I may have tossed it out...
I believe it said the car would use a chassis incorporating the new Jag/Lincoln technology.

------------------
92 XLT
FORD - A Better Idea!

about time Ford brings back the Bronco name after all that is where it all started!! All I can say is it would be a great time to put the V8 in as well

------------------
Brian
97 XLT AWD V8

Welcome to the site Brian, you're going to love it!

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
98 Lexus LS400

Thanks Stephen I already do love it and have only been checking it out for a couple of weeks.

Good you've finally decided to post. Its a great site, the best, A little addicting though. Better ask Ray Lobato about his 12 step program Dead Link Removed

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
98 Lexus LS400

welcome brian! i'm pretty new too and i love it....about the bronco's, i'm all for the bronco name, and possibly bringing back the full size version. the expedition's too luxurious, not meant for off-road use..maybe make a 2-door version of the exped...that'd be cool

------------------
'93 explorer sport 4x4

the expedition is a little big to do anything but use as a UAV (Urban Assult Vehicle) I think Ford already has a few concept 2 door expeditions out but nothing that is going to be mass produced.

------------------
Brian
97 XLT AWD V8

naaa, i dont think so...if they shortened it so it would look good w/the 2 doors like they do on the explorer and they put bigger tires on it, i think that would look good.

------------------
'93 explorer sport 4x4

There's hardly any market for big 2 door SUV's. Thats why the 2 door Tahoe was discontinued.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
98 Lexus LS400

Do you guys know if the new Bronco will share the same platform with the new 4-door Explorer?

This is really addictive. Even if I'm at work there is not a day that I never visited 4x4cetral.com. I hope I don't get caught by my boss.

Why did they kill the Bronco name in the first place? I heard it was because of the OJ thing, but never really found out for sure.

n2, I know the feeling. My weakest moment was when traffic was backed up for miles on the Beltway once, zero MPH for at least an hour, I actually hooked up my laptop to the car phone and checked the site from the car!

Barry, Naa, the OJ thing had nothing to do with it. If anything, that made sales go up. The Bronco was just so behind all of the competition. If I had been Ford, I would have named the Expedition the Bronco. I don't think it'll make the sales go up, but its a nice nod to a peice of Automotive history.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
98 Lexus LS400

I know its only a concept but I think if they come out with the Equator then that will be Fords best 4x4. It has options that rival a Hummer. Check out some pics at: http://www.f150online.com/gallery/equator.html This link will tell you a little about it: Dead Link Removed I saw this at the Detroit Autoshow and it was in my opinion the nicest looking thing there.

------------------
Seth M.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

I was out on our lot today(auto auction).There was a 2001 model explorer sport 2dr.It still has the explorer emblems on it.Dose the new bronco have something different about it?The production date was 02/00.It also has factory white face gauges.I thought that was a neat feature.

------------------
jyoung 92 sport 33-12.50

[This message has been edited by JYoung (edited 04-10-2000).]

The 2001 is still called the Explorer Sport. I'm not sure when the Bronco name takes over, 2002 or 2003. From what I understand, the Explorer Sport, and all 2 door Explorers will just be called Broncos.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
98 Lexus LS400

Okay, fellas, how confident are we in this Bronco story? Most of what I've read has originated from BlueOvalNews.com, and I've been warned to take their news with a grain of salt. Stephen, can you reveal your sources?

I've also heard that they will be beefing up the suspension (solid axles?) and making it at least somewhat off-road worthy out of the box. I am a Bronco NUT (80 Big Bronco [Dad's-drove it in HS], 90 Bronco II and now 78 Big Bronco), so this has had me pretty worked up for a while. Pops also had a 70 early Bronco, which I LOVE(D), so I hope they do keep it the size of the current Sport. Do you think they released the 2001 model Sport this early in order to extend production in preparation for a "new" 2002 model Bronco later in 2001?

I always planned to buy a 2000 Bronco (would've been 4 decades of Broncos in my family- 70, 80, 90,...), but I'll forgive them and buy one 1-2 years late if they bring it back...and make it worthy of the Bronco name!

Bill
78 Bronco Custom
Built 400, NP435
3" Rancho Suspension Lift
35x12.5's

[This message has been edited by Not Yet (edited 04-27-2000).]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bill, I saw the article about it on BlueOvalNews, then I asked a freind of mine that does freelance automotive writing, he knows more about the Auto industry tha I thought possible, he confirmed so I went ahead and posted it, looks like its the truth. As for the Blue Oval site, some of the stuff is true, but like any underground source, some of it is going to be unsubstantiated rumors.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
98 Lexus LS400

Back