• Register Today It's free!

broncoII suspension questions

fischerry

Reaction score
City, State
THE SOUTH
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 x'sploda
are the 91 explorer 4x4 4 door, leaf springs and coils a direct fit on a b2?will i need to take the coil buckets and leaf spring mounting brackets?do you know about how much lift it will give?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no lift at all, but yes the leaf packs and coils are interchangeable between the gen I explorer and the BII, the coil buckets and shock mounts are exactly the same

the Bronco II used a dana 28 front axle (TTB) and a 7.5" rear axle, now would be a great time to get the dana 35 and 8.8 from the Explorer.
The dana 35 TTB will bolt into the BII, the rear end takes a bit more work, it must be converted to spring over to work with the BII

You would also need the explorer driveshafts, the rear would need to be shortened to fit.

The Bronco II (84-90), ranger (84-97) and Explorer (91-94) all share the same TTB front end setup so lift kits, springs, steering, etc are interchangeable

Actually....

4 door explorer springs give between ¾-1.5" of lift on a BII depending on how mashed out it's original springs were.

http://www.broncoii.org/techpages/xsprings/index.html

You can use the existing BII front drive shaft with a D35 if you shorten it 1-1.5" depending on the amount of lift you have. For the rear, you can use a shortened explorer rear shaft, or swap the flange on the 8.8 for one off of a car that has the 2.5" bolt spacing (like a mustang) and use the existing BII rear drive shaft.

If you swapped a D35 in you would also want to use it's steering linkage since it's beefier and wider than the D28's...

I put Explorer leafs on my BII, brand new Explorer leafs and gained maybe 1" of lift, that quickly sagged to 0" of lift, it did ride better though for a bit!

I put used 4 door springs into mine... and they've maintained 1.5" of lift.. and are now 5.5 over stock with the aal and shackle. ;)

alright thanks guys,i thnik im'a go with the james duff dual shock mounts and coil cbucket,2" skijacker coils and 2" block under replacement broncoII leafs.that should give more than enuff play until i find a donor explorer.atleast the buckets, springs and coils will still be beneficial after the swap.

why are you using the duff coil buckets with 2" skyjacker coils?
I think this is a BAD idea the Duff buckets are meant to be used with their 3" or more coils, you can get yourself in trouble mix matching parts like this

alright what if i go duff all the way and get shackles...please help me with some suggestions.when i looked up the duff coil bucket and dual shocks,it sayed nothing about having to be 3 in lift and when i called and talked to leon at james duff. he sayed any coils made for the broncoII will fit the buckets???he sayed you'll have to get longer shocks.i'll have to shocks anyways so...i guess what your saying is,it might work,but mitch matching suspension parts is dangerous?

what you need to know here is whether or not the duff coil buckets put the TTB coil in teh same spot in relation to the frame as the stock buckets do. otherwise your 2" lift coil could yield you 4" or 1" in actual height....do you see what I am saying?

"leon sayed",(i dont know leon personally)from james duff sayed they bolt right up,same location and everything.and that i didnt need a lift to use them .but i dont know i would hope there not just jrking my chain and i havent found anyone who has used them or tried them so im starting to get query.i also didnt include the skyjacker coils when in conversation with him.i thought it might be a little rude.

The duff coils are great, they are variable rate coils so if you can run them go with them, they just never made one long enough for me

The dual shocks and buckets are nice but not necesarry IMO, the stock buckets will work fine for your application.

I know the duff buckets are designed to bolt to the frame, but what I was getting at is the actual height of the coil mount, but it sounds like he has you covered since he said you dont even need lift to run them it seems to me they keep the coil height just like stock

ok so i'll just go duff,hey thanks man.if this was a offroad rig only i would go all-out.but i got a wife and baby .you kinda see by my choice's that i wanna dd but a good trail rig.as soon as my 2.9 goes im'a drop a 4.0 in it.im really impressed with your 5.0.

4.0L will suit you well the OHV 4.0L is perfect for the B2

Duff kit is a great kit and will work great for what you are looking for.

Tsk tsk tsk, D30 straight axle boys! Heehee! I'm kidding, couldn't resist Jamie.

yeah i got kicked out of our house,were were renting from family.i was moving everything till 2 am.something wierd happened to the broncy.the oil pressure dropped down to 20 twenty and it shut off. the when i got on the highway it had no pickup (took aa good solid miniet to get to 65.the whole time blowing black smoke.then i hit cruise control and black smoke stoped and white smoke started shooting out.white is a head gasket or head, and black is unburned fuel or injectors right? my buddy also told me there is a fuse that could f up the way it burns gas.but anyways i start it up today and drive it 20 miles to work....runs fine and no smoke,and i was in rush hour traffic...?im baffled. i told the wife it's time to hit rusty acres for a 4.0..

so here is last friday-saturday...
10.jpg

11.jpg

and
7.jpg

9.jpg

Back