brown wire mod for 3rd gen?

Curtis

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT 4x4
I read a few threads on the brown wire mod in that you can keep the explorer in 2wd until you hit the switch of this brown wire to get 4wd back.

I know my 3rd gen is alwasy in automatic 4x4 until I put it in 4high. Id like to have a 2wd only option.

Is there such a mod for the 3rd gen?
I'm in FL and don't need the 4wd in normal conditions.

its a 04 4.6 4x4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unfortunately, the newer 4x4 system is integrated into the computers a little more. Doing the brown wire mod will set trouble codes.

I'd like to have this mod as well...The "intelligent" 4x4 system is dumber than I thought...Spin the tires in a gravel driveway just once, and then for the longest time every time you go past ~1/2 throttle, the 4x4 is engaging power to the front wheels even on dry pavement.
It took me a while to understand this system, but with the help of some Ford techs, I've understood that it anticipates situations that can cause wheelspin, and tries to help eliminate them. Such as when spinning from a takeoff, the computer thinks it might be slippery, and that getting on the throttle harder would possibly cause a spin/skid condition, so it engages the transfer case to assist in straight line traction.

I have figured out a way to reset it if that happens though...Under a lift-throttle condition, engage 4x4 High for about 10 seconds, then select 4x4 Auto again, and it will reset to regular RWD operation till the next time wheelspin is detected.

Under a lift-throttle condition, engage 4x4 High for about 10 seconds, then select 4x4 Auto again, and it will reset to regular RWD operation till the next time wheelspin is detected.

What do you mean lift-throttle condition?
Id like to give this a try

What do you mean lift-throttle condition?
Id like to give this a try

Sorry, my racing terminology started to leak out again. By "lift-throttle", I simply meant, don't engage the 4x4 High mode with your foot on the accelerator. Do it while coasting, then once back in 4x4 Auto, resume normal driving.

The other way the system resets is by shutting the vehicle off and restarting it. It needs to see wheelspin great enough to engage the transfer case in the Auto mode before this "intelligent" mode of anticipating wheelspin will stay in effect till either you reset it the way I described or the key is turned off and it's restarted.

I may have found something.

My dads 02 is having the flashing 4x4 high light 10 times every 2 minutes.
I think I have narrowed it down to the 4x4 control module.
I read on another thread called
"Any easy way to disable the 4x4 system and run on 2WD"
that if you pull the connectors to the 4x4 module, you essentially end up in 2WD as tested by tight turns on dry pavement. Other members drove their X's for years like this.

Do you think there is a way to rig a switch with the connectors on the module?
It doesn't appear that any codes or CEL lights etc will come on

please help us!!!
lol i want to do some burn outs w/ my X. I use to own a chevy trailblazer 4X4, it was always in 2WD and man did i have fun in that thing really do hope to have as much fun in my X

I also read the #12 fuse will disable it too.
my 04 shows #12 is the 4x4 module
my dads 02 says #12 is for fog light switch and 4x4 module

I wonder if we create a switch to act as a power switch within the fuse box can we achieve this?

Hopefully someone will more knowledge than me will jump on this threat to see if this is a solution or are we creating more problems

There is a brown wire thread discussing getting it to work for third gen Explorers. I don't remember if a solution was ever found though.

I also read the #12 fuse will disable it too.
my 04 shows #12 is the 4x4 module
my dads 02 says #12 is for fog light switch and 4x4 module

I wonder if we create a switch to act as a power switch within the fuse box can we achieve this?

Hopefully someone will more knowledge than me will jump on this threat to see if this is a solution or are we creating more problems

well being that mine is still under warranty, i'm going to set up to the plate and give it a try. Going to take Curtis word and remove fuse #12, if that doesn't work i'm going to start tapping wires that have to do w/ the 4X4. I know most of you want to disable this but i don't think anyone wants it as bad as me! lol
Mission starts in 13 hrs :salute: lol

So until my dad gets the new module, I had him disconnect the original.
he how has 2WD as tested by laying a strip of rubber from a standing start!

Anyway he just got back from a highway trip and got 420 miles from a tank. Thats the most he ever got. I know its highway miles, but the most he would get around town is 300...

hopefully someone with alot more knowledge than me can figure out a way for us full time 4x4 guys to switch to 2wd.

well I had my dad disconnect the module in his 02 until we get his new one. (ordered from Ford Direct Parts, $152 shipped)

He just got back from a highway trip and got 420 miles from a tank!
I know thats highway miles but around town he's lucky to get 300 miles.
in my 04 Im lucky to get 300 miles around town.

Hopefully someone with alot more knowledge than me can figure this out so us full time 4x4 guys can have 2wd

what 420..wow.

yeah it would be great to get the 3rd gen into true 2wd mode.

well being that mine is still under warranty, i'm going to set up to the plate and give it a try. Going to take Curtis word and remove fuse #12, if that doesn't work i'm going to start tapping wires that have to do w/ the 4X4. I know most of you want to disable this but i don't think anyone wants it as bad as me! lol
Mission starts in 13 hrs :salute: lol

Ghoster any luck with this Mod?

sorry did do any updates
i started messing w/ some of the wires and all i got was that it kept on going from auto 4wd to hi and low 4wd
not really sure what i did lol
I spoke w/ a family friend that use to be a service manager for Ford, he told he was going to try to get a schematic or something like that to see where we can put some type of switch to switch to 2wd when i want.
This was acouple days ago, haven't heard back from him.
When i do hear from him i'll make sure to post

What is the main idea of the brown wire mod? I don't really want to read through all the posts on here (hundreds I think) to try to figure it out. I know it concerns earlier generation Explorers and disabling the 4X4 somehow. Is the brown wire the power wire to the shift motor on those Explorers?

Your gonna have to read them like the rest of us guys. LOL
Happy reading.

On this thread we are interested in the 3rd gens going into a 2wd mode only with no chance of going into 4x4 mode under hard acceleration or rear wheel slip.

Your gonna have to read them like the rest of us guys. LOL
Happy reading.

On this thread we are interested in the 3rd gens going into a 2wd mode only with no chance of going into 4x4 mode under hard acceleration or rear wheel slip.

:D :thumbsup: i was going to say the same thing

I'm not interested in modding my 4X4. I thought if I understood what you were trying to do I might be able to offer something. Nevermind! Have fun.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not interested in modding my 4X4. I thought if I understood what you were trying to do I might be able to offer something. Nevermind! Have fun.

By all means you can help, but your gonna have to bring yourself up to speed on what you will be helping on. So to avoid reposts we generally point you back to reading the whole thread.

All help is appreciated:thumbsup:

Back