• Register Today It's free!

brown wire mod help 4x4?

weh87

Reaction score
City, State
scottsboro, alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 mercury mounty 5.0
i have a 96 eddie 4.0 4wd. i have been doin some reading about the brown wire mode. i dont think my 4wd is working. think doing this mod will help? if so can someone give me give info on how to do this mod from from under the driver seat? i just want to make it lock in 4hi instead of 4auto. i have a basic 30amp on/off toggle. will that work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doing the mod will not fix the 4x4 just give you the option of 2x4, theres a sticky for 4x4 not working look in the search option

Type in "Brown wire Mod" in search, there a sticky on the whole subject with pictures

i already have 2wd. in 96 the switch gives you the options 2wd 4auto and 4lo. i only have my cell to get online with so all pics will not load so it did not help me much. i was hopin someone could explain it better.

any assitance would be great

you dont have 4hi. doing the mod wont accomplish any thing for you other than wasting your time.

Sounds like you have a bad shift motor on the transfer case.
You can get a re-manufactured one from Rock auto for about 60 bucks.
Brown wire mod cant fix a bad motor.

Bob

when i said 4hi i was meaning that the bwm would create more of a 4hi rather than the 4auto it is now because it locks it in. right?

well after some checking my 4wd auto does work for sure! i just had to get in some sloppy mud lol. so doing the bwm can be done from under the driver seat? if so any one got some info on its location? also can i use just a 30amp on off toggle to send power to it full time so it locks in 4wd instead ofengaging and disengaging?

well aint u just a sweetheart

Back