• Register Today It's free!

Brown Wire Mod Help????

stsmoker

Reaction score
City, State
Cumberland City, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Ford Explorer 4x4 XLS
So i want to do the brown wire mod. I have a 2005 Explorer. I cannot find the brown wire anywhere except for right out of the TC. If i splice in the switch right there and run 10-15ft of wire into the cab to the switch then 10-15ft of more wire to go back to the brown wire would i be risking any loss of volatge or w/e because of the extra resistance? And I plan on using a 25 amp simple toggle switch and 14 gauge wire. Any input would be appreciated!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So i want to do the brown wire mod. I have a 2005 Explorer. I cannot find the brown wire anywhere except for right out of the TC. If i splice in the switch right there and run 10-15ft of wire into the cab to the switch then 10-15ft of more wire to go back to the brown wire would i be risking any loss of volatge or w/e because of the extra resistance? And I plan on using a 25 amp simple toggle switch and 14 gauge wire. Any input would be appreciated!!!

haha i dont know what the brown wire mod is im new to the stuff here but i do have a fix for your problem,
install a relay at the wire at the TC run a wire from a switch in the dash, when you put 12V to the trigger pin on the relay it will eather open the circuit or close it witch ever one you want,
this website will give you some wireing examples that may help you out
http://www.fastronixsolutions.com/Tech Info/Relay_Wiring.pdf

this will fix your line loss problem
Andrew E

Yes, it will work just fine. No relay necessary as the clutch only draws 4A, and an extra 10 ft of wire will add minimal losses to the circuit. However, you must thoroughly weatherproof the connection. Solder and shrink-tube are a must, and crimp-on butt connectors are out of the question. Also, it will likely cause the 4wd lights to begin flashing, and you will not be able to switch it back on 'on the fly' like you can with the second-gens.

ya i dident know how much it drew, and he was worried about line loss so that was my solution, im going to have to do this my self with mine, i had my mud tires on for some time and had no problems then i started geting where it would auto shift into 4x4 when on the hwy and i ended up tearing 2 belts in 2 tires

Well i went a head and did the mod. However i did use the little crimp connectors but i taped the SH*T out of the wires where crimped and also tied the wires off out of the way. Shouldnt get too nasty under there. Im going to be keeping an eye on the wires to make sure they stay put and clean...just incase :p.....
I just used a simpe 20amp switch, cut the brown wire and put the switch in between the brown wire. Seems to work fine, I'm still a little leery about using it all the time because i do not feel like replacing my TC haha. But it lets me switch on the fly and I can spin tires now ( as much as the traction control lets me anyways ) The explorer is a lot more fun to drive now in the rain though :D So unless i feel like gettin sideways on the wet road or on the gravel my 4x4 auto stays engaged. Hopefully I dont have any trouble with the switch or TC.

ps.....will hopefully have pictures soon...its been nasty and rainy here the past couple days. so when it dries up (tomorrow should be nice) I will crawl back up under there and take pictures. :)

Back