Brown Wire Mod Question, something new. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brown Wire Mod Question, something new.

Justme63

Reaction score
City, State
South Central Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer 4.0 4x4 2dr
I did the Brown Wire Mod last year when I had to do an engine/transmission swap and I am extremely happy I did this. I have just replaced my transfer case as there was an internal failure of some sort yet to be determined. I am afraid that the Mod had something to do with this. I had at one point disengaged the 4x4 and had forgotten to return the switch to the "stock" position. I have just the DTDP type switch hooked up. I am thinking that I would use a relay that do the job of actually switching on/off the electromagnet in the transfer case. and would return the system to "stock" when switched to the 2x4 position. I haven't started to design this yet so now to the question. Is leaving the electromagnet system engaged when in two wheel going to do any damage? Does it just keep the front axle engaged? I heard no noise nor did I feel any difference while driving that way. Just looking for anyone who has an interest.
Thanks everyone:salute::feedback:

If you are energizing the clutch, you're in 4x4. My advice is to reverse your mods completely.

If you are energizing the clutch, you're in 4x4. My advice is to reverse your mods completely.

I wish you would explain your reasoning. The "Brown Wire Mod" works as it should. The modification I am contemplating it to route the power to the 2nd switch that energizes the clutch to be routed through a relay so everything returns to normal(de-energized) when switched back to 2 wheel drive. When switched to the Auto 4 then I have the option of auto or Full time with the second switch. That way I don't run the risk of forgetting to switch (de-energize) the clutch when I select 2 wheel drive. I am assuming that is how the newer models with the full time selection operate. Sorry but I am looking for some input, not just a "I think" answer. And the original question asked is, if the clutch is engaged (2nd switch on/ energized) and the selector switch is returned to the 2 wheel mode would or could this lead to transfer case issues? I guess I will re-wire the system so it operates this way just to be on the safe side. I really had hoped to get some more detailed feed back on this.

Silly me, I reread the original post again and I got it figured out now. My model year is different than any following model years and I don't have a live front axle. It was to bad I could find someone to discuss this with on here. Maybe next time.

Back