brush guard install help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

brush guard install help

joshisgood

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer sport
hi all, i always wanted a guard on my explorer but the price kept me away. while in the junk yard yesterday i seen a guard sitting near the front and asked what truck it was from. the guy said they removed it recently from a 97 explorer. i was excited and bought it. well i go to put it on today ( sunday ) and cant figure out where to mount it. the bumper rails are too narrow and if it needs a mount to attach somewhere it didnt come with one. of course the junk yard is closed today, and i work early tomorrow so i cant go grab the mounts untill tuesday ( if ineeded it does need the mounts).

so what im asking is does it need mounts? where does it attach if it does/doesnt need mounts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have the weston grill guard and there are indeed two brackets needed on my 03 sport there is two l shaped brackets that bolt on on top of the tow hooks

0154422141505623_6417413083760810172_o_zps8214fdf8.jpg

a buddy of mine used 2 inch angle iron to make brackets

you need brackets that use one bumper bolt and one bolt through the hole in the frame.

pass side

GetAttachment_zps4fa87e20.jpg

driver side
brushmount_zps110e5111.jpg

front view
truck2_zps51cafcf2.jpg

how did you make out?

On he subject of grill guards and mounting them... Are the brackets used to hold the grill guard/brush guard on sturdy enough to also hold tow hooks?

Went to junkyard and was able to get the brackets from the donor truck. My bumper bolts are so bad tho that even after a can of pb blaster that the bolts turned with the nuts. Time restraints have stopped me from toying with it further.

As for tow hooks, i would doubt it would be very strong since there really is only 2 bolts per side holding it on, but i could be wrong

As for tow hooks, i would doubt it would be very strong since there really is only 2 bolts per side holding it on, but i could be wrong

Yea, that's pretty much what I've been worried about. I put my grill guard on just a couple months ago. But I'll come up with something. :)

Hope this helps.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3260055&postcount=52

I made some custom mounts out of 3x1/4 inch angle steel, and added a second set of mounts from the bumper, through the nose and to the guards a little higher up. The thing is rock solid, and the custom mounts are strong enough for tow hooks.

I've slid nose-down into rocks and been yanked out of the mud by the hooks and nothing budged.

The design on the brackets is earlier in that thread, and there's more after it as well.

Sog, that's a great looking Sport.

:exp:

you need brackets that use one bumper bolt and one bolt through the hole in the frame.

pass side

GetAttachment_zps4fa87e20.jpg

driver side
brushmount_zps110e5111.jpg

front view
truck2_zps51cafcf2.jpg
I have been looking for some basic photos of this example for a ford all over the internet...FINALLY !! Thanks for posting. My bush gaurd came with zero instructions on where to mount just how it assembles together. Figured it out after messing with the Mounting brackets . Will post photos after install

Well as long as we're reviving old threads...

I finally found a grill guard that is missing the "wings" covering the headlights. But I like it as its the only one I've seen that vomes through the bumper rather than under it.

The original design had the mounting brackets held in place by two bolts that ran up either side of the frame rail to a steel bar that sat on top of the frame rail. Didn't like the design.. Didnt seem sturdy.
So i drilled into the frame rail and used the double bolts from the rear bumper (well not my bumper.. LoL a salvage yard bumper) to bolt the brackets directly to the frame.
In the pic you can see the holes where the original bolts "clamped" the bracket in place. It is much sturdier now. Sturdy enough for tow hooks.

15542461928985315335289453913530.jpg

15542463731672470937443247375714.jpg

Well as long as we're reviving old threads...

I finally found a grill guard that is missing the "wings" covering the headlights. But I like it as its the only one I've seen that vomes through the bumper rather than under it.

The original design had the mounting brackets held in place by two bolts that ran up either side of the frame rail to a steel bar that sat on top of the frame rail. Didn't like the design.. Didnt seem sturdy.
So i drilled into the frame rail and used the double bolts from the rear bumper (well not my bumper.. LoL a salvage yard bumper) to bolt the brackets directly to the frame.
In the pic you can see the holes where the original bolts "clamped" the bracket in place. It is much sturdier now. Sturdy enough for tow hooks.

View attachment 168977

View attachment 168978
I like how that passes through the bumper too. Ya got it bolted on there good. Did it have brackets to connect the uper portion of gaurd? The one i got come ith brackets to attach the mid/upper portion of gaurd too. It sticks out inbetween the bumper& grill from what i can tell. I bought one model specific for a 99 explorer so if i wanted another bolt hole on the frame id have to drill which doesnt seem necessary...yet.

No other brackets than what you see. I wish I had the headlight guards as well, but they were not included.

No other brackets than what you see. I wish I had the headlight guards as well, but they were not included.
The motor donor I bought came with a full bar on it.

Screenshot_20190410-111835_Gallery.jpg

I'd probably make some extensions to go over the headlights as well. But I'm planning to get a new winch mount type bumper eventually so it's not a high priority job. I do like how it looks though.

Back