brush guard installation and connections | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

brush guard installation and connections

zpalffy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I am looking to install a Hunter Brush Guard on my 2000 Eddie Bauer Explorer.
Does anyone have any photos of how and where they attach to the frame
this would be helpful to know before I dive into this.

Also how hard of an installation is this ?

Thanks for your help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a hunter on one of my explorers. If you ordered it new from them (ebay store or website) it should come with there mounting kit. The 2 frame brackets attach behind the bumper to the frame. It will use existing hole in the frame for the long bolt, washers, and nuts that come in the package. More than likely you will need to notch the plastic tray under the radiator which is bolted to the bottom of the frame for the bracket to sit flush against the frame -- some people don't and then wonder why the guard feel loose. The bracket also uses one of the bumper mounting bolts (closest to the outside of the frame). These can be a headache as they often will just spin, requiring you to get behind the bumper cover with a socket or vicegrips to grab the nut (the keeper tab tends to rust out).

Once the bottom bracket is in place, there is a set of flat flat stock pieces which you bolt together and thread up from the frame to come out of the grill. Little hard to explain, but it makes sense when you actually look under the truck with the pieces in hand.

Once the brackets are in place, the guard is lined up and bolted on to it. Adjust to correct position and tighten. It's really not a hard install, but the guard itself is heavy/ackward so recommend having a buddy help hold it up while you attach the bolts.

I'll see about getting a couple pics after work tonight if nobody else posts some up this afternoon.

Thanks I would appreciate the photos I like to have a mental picture of what I have to do before I start in on a project. I hit a deer last week and it is currently in the shop getting repaired so the bumper bolts should be easy to get off since they have to be taken out to install the new bumper.

When you look at the bracket you'll see where it goes. RomeovilleIL gave you perfect instructions. I've put on three and the last one took about an hour. If I recall the bumper bolts are 3/4 and the long bolt through the frame is also 3/4. As was said you may have to notch the plastic under the bumper to fit the bracket, although my 99 didn't need to be.

thanks

thanks everyone

still would love the photos

The link Romeo posted has the picture. That's the drivers side. The pass side is opposite. The bracket rests across the bottom and up the outside edge of the frame.

I hope that you are all aware that that contraption is not street legal?
If you hit anybody with that, insurance will not pay any dime, even if is not your fault.

Plus you can get sued for excessive damages to the other car, even if is their fault.

If you hit anybody with that, insurance will not pay any dime, even if is not your fault.

Plus you can get sued for excessive damages to the other car, even if is their fault.

Every state has its own set of rules on bumper height and add-on's. You apply the rules of the state in which the vehicle is registered, so obviously people should take the time to understand their local regs. Most rules pertain to bumper heights. I have not heard of anyone locally that was turned down on a claim for having a grill guard on their truck, but best advice is simply ask your insurance company. Around here they are impolitely referred to as bambi thumpers and A LOT of vehicles have them installed. Dealers put them on new trucks, too.

Just a little extra info: http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/lift-kits-laws

It doesn't matter that the states doesn't specifically BAN those mods. Reality is that there is no need for state to ban those mods, because is not really their responsibility. It's a federal issue, the federal regulation for bumpers - CFR Title 49:
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/granule/CF...2011-title49-vol7-part581/content-detail.html
Some states apply added limitations, but that doesn't render federal regulation irrelevant.

If bumpers are not mandatory, why they are installed on all new cars? Why is a specific low-speed test for bumpers?
I am just saying that if you face an accident lawyer after you hit his client with a brush guard (that is not OE equipment)... good luck to you.

The factory bumper is still in place, but can see your point.

Still can go to the dealer and get the guards as an option on a new SUV or truck and have yet to meet anyone denied on their insurance in an accident while using one. With the number of deer hit around here (family and friends it is literally dozens in the past few years alone), mine are staying in place. YMMV

Back to the OP issue -- once you have the mounts in hand and hold it up under the bumper the install becomes evident.

The last time we had this argument I talked to my agent. I was told they prefer grill guards as it protects the front of the vehicle in deer/car accidents. Also, both the State Police and the Sheriff Dept have them installed on most of the road patrol vehicles for the same reason. These guys hit a deer almost weekly and a 300 guard repairs quicker then an entire front clip, fenders, hood and so forth. Now I think about it, the Fed's were in our area a month ago when two Amish girls were kidnapped and their big Tahoe's had guards.

The last time we had this argument I talked to my agent. I was told they prefer grill guards as it protects the front of the vehicle in deer/car accidents.
The guards protect YOUR vehicle. I was talking about you hitting OTHER vehicles or pedestrians.
You will see quick that your insurance will not pay the damage to the other vehicle.

Anyway, we are all grownups, we have to live with our choices.
For example if you choose to put a battering ram in front of your vehicle, and a spike in the rear because it will "protect" you better than the approved bumper... it's a choice that you will have to defend eventually.
It might be killing deer versus killing a person type of deal some day.

I am just saying that if you face an accident lawyer after you hit his client with a brush guard (that is not OE equipment)... good luck to you.

You raise a very good point. The installation may not be specifically illegal but if it contributes to damage they may not have otherwise occurred that's fodder for private litigation.

A lot of cars are now designed to minimise pedestrian injury in the case of a collision, adding things to the front can nullify these safety designs.

Aren't SUVs exempt from some laws to pertain to regular passenger vehicles?
At least in some states?

Back