• Register Today It's free!

Brush Guard on Mountaineer

extra-medium

Reaction score
City, State
Charlottesville, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
I have searched for a while and found that brush guards are almost non existent for the 3rd gen Mountaineers. I found a couple threads that says you cannot use the one for the Explorers on the Mountaineers, but no one gives a reason why. Does anyone know why they can't be crossed over? Is it an issue with the bumper needing to be cut into, or is there something else? I don't mind the look of the bull bars, but I would prefer to get a brush guard instead.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I emailed truck gear direct and asked them about it and they said it requires cutting into the bumper. I am debating on ordering one and cutting holes in my bumper, and then using like a door edge guard to go around the hole I cut so it doesn't look too terrible. I'll update with pics if/when it gets done.

I would like to see the pics when you get it done. Definitely cutting holes in the bumper cover is part of the issue. There aren't many Mountys with brush guards. I think that I've seen it done once or twice, but those may have been specific Mounty brush guards. You should probably take a look at the side-view profile of the two vehicles and how the upper part of the X guard covers the headlights. The headlight shape, as you know, is quite different. There may be an issue with the way the overall unit "hugs" the vehicle. I would think that it could still be done, but perhaps you would need to modify the brackets to pull it out/in as needed.

From what I can tell with looking at pics online, the only thing that would be an issue is the bumper cover. I was looking where I need to cut it, and it doesn't look like it will be that big of an issue since I already have a crack in mine by the right fog light. I think once I get through Christmas I'' try to tackle this and get it done.

I know this post is a couple years old now but I was wondering how it went. I'm looking to get a brush guard for my mountaineer as well

Mission aborted. The bumpers on the mountaineers don't have the necessary holes to install any sort of front end accessory. If you want to cut holes in your bumper then you can get it to work, but I opted not to.

Back