Brush Guard Project! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brush Guard Project!

ExplorerX99

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
I bought a brush guard from someone selling it off of a '97 Mountaineer. Thought it would fit my '99 Explorer.

Nope.

I ruined the original bumper and had to pull one off of a wrecked '95 Explorer to replace it. I needed one that didn't stick out so much. The one I pulled is also missing the air dam so I will be replacing that in the future. Check it out...

Before:

Explorer001-1.jpg

I took the original bumper off and then realized I forgot to take pictures...

Truck001-1.jpg

Truck002.jpg

After:

Truck003.jpg

Truck004.jpg

Truck005.jpg

Truck006.jpg

Since I lost the fog lights from the original bumper, I wired the driving lights on the guard to the fog lights button in the cab. All in all, I think that it came out okay. If I could do it over, I would do it differently but I'm happy with this for now.

I'm going to spray the front and rear bumpers black. Any suggestions as to the best thing to use for that? I heard I should use bed liner spray.

Thanks for looking!

Can you snap a pic outdoors in the sunlight? I have an 02 sport ive been tossing around the idea of getting a grille guard of some kind for. Its a similar colour red and I'm not sure how it looks with a black gaurd over a stainless colour. Thanks

Scott

nice

truck and I have the same bar too! I have had my truck for 10 yrs and the bar for about 8 and the holes where the fog lights go got really rusted out and eventually the whole thing rusted so I got that herculiner stuff and put it on my bar and it looks really good!! but u might want to dab a little silicone on the base of the lights.

Looks good actually I have the exact same everything color year and I think I like that bumper a lot better this one is too flimsy it shakes with the bumps, really annoying. Bar looks good keep up the good work

Back