• Register Today It's free!

Brutal Gas Mileage

pugsy

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4x4 (4 door)
I'm getting brutal gas mileage on my 92 explorer. I'm averaging about 17L/100Km in the city. Much worse then my Dakota with a strong V8 and about 100 more horse. How can this be? Any sugesstions to improve mileage? Just got a new O2 sensor, air filter is clean, changed oil.
Help!
Thx...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't hurt to change the plugs/wires. Hook up a scan tool and see what your computer is doing.

-Drew

17 l = 4.49092487 US gallons
100 kilometers = 62.1371192 mi

so your getting about 13.8 mpg (for those of us using the inferior system)

is this a recent change?

doesnt seem that far out of the ordinary... i think i get like 14 or 15 mpg in the city...

That math can't be right. Then for my dakota, highway mileage of 12.25 L / 100KM for a 4.7L V8 would turn into a really not attainable #.
I always though that 1 gallon = 3.8L

i had a wierd problem like that happen to me my gas mileage dropped to 11 all around from a usual 15 or 13-12 if i was off-roding i fixed it by plugs wires then cleaning my air filter there were sticks and mud in it...

1 liter = .2462 gallons
Kilometer x .6214= miles

17 liters = 4.1854 gallons
100 km = 62.14 miles

62.14/4.1854 = 14.85 mpg

Not bad for city driving. Now, for the 4.7 Dakota;

12.25L = 3.02 gals

62.14/3.02= 20.58 mpg

Also not bad for highway driving.

Clean the MAF! :-D
I did that and noticed a great difference.

thats about what i get in my 92. i think yours may even be a little better.

i'd clean the maf, and put a piece of cardboard infront of part of the radiator. A number of people, including myself, have found that with a piece of cardboard you can get the coolant temp to better stabalize in the winter

It sounds to me like nothing is wrong with his truck you guys. If your math is right, he's getting 13-14 mpg in the city already. That's pretty good for a 1st gen.

dont feel bad man i was gettin 20mpg avg according 2 my info center in console before my new tires now i avg 10.9 mpg but i went from stock to 33's

FROADER said:
I wish I got that much in my '92!

ditto. Now compared to other canadian cars, and considering what they charge for "petrol" up there. 13MPG is horrendus, but not for a 1st gen.

Back