BuckShot Mudders | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BuckShot Mudders

I Was curios if any one else in here used these. I just picked up 2 BuckShot Mudders XMTs for my X for the rear ( I know dont use the 4wd you could break something) and plan on getting the other 2 next week. My budget was pretty tight and these were about the only tire in 31x10.5R15 I could find that would fit my budget. Any ways i already tryed em out, in 2wd only, and so far WAY BETTER than the stockers I had!

Old tires.... 255-70R15
SDC10598.jpg

New Tires :D 31x10.5R15
SDC10597.jpg

SDC10596.jpg

I havnt really pushed em since I can only use 2wd but I got em in about 4-6 inches of Red Clay mud and they did very well, most 2wd trucks get stuck in the back field after a heavy rain (we just got 6 inches of rain) but I had no problum getting back out :D cant wait to get the front 2.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't care for the tread design to much, but what was the cost on those? Also if cost is a factor have you ever looked into retreads? http://treadwright.com/default.aspx I'm looking at their BFG retreads for my back 2 tires.

Edit: oh wait I was looking at the "old tire" tread design lol I guess that would explain why I thought they were a crappy mudder design!

was 109.98 per tire for the 2 mounted plus tax was 242.32. Im curios to see how they wear, they should last me a couple years atleast I hope. I was pretty impressed on what I put them though earlier (not much though) so when I get my other 2 Im going to try to set up a Get together for Barnwell mountain and put em to a better test :D.

That's not to bad for a 31. I could of had my hands on a 5 mickey thompson baja mtz's 33's for $200 a week ago. They still had 12/32nds tread on them. But alas... I didn't have the money to have them sitting in the corner while I waited to do 3 inch lift.

Edit: sorry meant $250, but that is still a steal.

My buddy's dad swore by those tires. He used to run them on his jeep and toyota in their 38" form. I've never tried them but I suppose their pretty good. Definitely an improvement over stock. With them being made by maxxis they should withstand a pretty good beating.

I recommend this site to most people looking to compare most popular tires. Here's the Buckshot: http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Maxxis-Buckshot-Mudder.htm
According to that site they're a good overall tire.

Here's for the main part (the navigation on the site sucks really bad.) http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/reading/mud.htm

Cool thanks for the link, I did notice on the road they did have some road noise going on back there, but it doesnt really bother me much. Definitly alot better traction than the old ones for sure though. Lol you should have seen the look on the salesmens face when I told him what I was wanting to put them on lol. They let me out their to watch em put em on (Im wierd like that) and While I was talking to the guy I asked him if he they have many Xs in their for tires like that and he laphed and told me "Dude I have worked here for a few years now and have never had any one want bigger tires let alone buckshots put on an explorer". I thought it was kinda funny.

Crazy, most shops don't get people looking for offroad tires to actually Offroad with. This past weekend I saw a F350 4x4 with what looked like a 12-15 inch lift, headlights were at my head height. It had a set of Parnelli 38x15 on 18inch rims. It had a massive brush guard with a warn winch and all the bells and whistles. When the guy came out I asked him where he took it offroading at because I didn't know of any O/R sites around. He gave me a dirty look and said "I would never let dirt touch my ride." I was in shock that someone would go that far and never take it off road, it's like owning a gun but never shooting it.......

Yeah buckshots are pretty "Oakie" tires. But for the price, especially being from maxxis, you really can't go wrong.

I'm like you. We can't pump our own gas here but I get out and talk to/watch the pumper. (especially when it's a cute chick) (or some tweaked out looking dude.. I hate tweakers!) Same with tire shops. I watched them mount my 33x9.5's. It was funny though he literally said "If they rub I can get out the saws-all." That's why I love Mom & Pop shops. I never go to known places like Midas or Les Schwab.

I know what you meen eXcali, ran into some my self. I got to talking to the guy and told him about the TT and Shackles I put on it and he started looking at it and noticed it did sit higher up, My wife ran to town with it and should be back soon, I will try to get a full side pic of it as it sits atm. lol it looks kinda goofy cause the the Mudders are atleast 2 inches taller than the old tires. Looks like its Raked or something lol. I cant wait till next week when i can get the fronts. Im curios to see if I have a lil bit of rubbing or not. If so i ditched my tuppaware and the front plastic Valance under the bumper so I think the only place I may have rub issues is going to be the inside rear of the fender plastic. If so No biggy i will just trim it out a lil bit.

i did notice though then when I had to climb the hill in the back side of the property the rear stayed solid and didnt slid around where is the front was all over the place, they are almost like slicks up front lol.

Yeah buckshots are pretty "Oakie" tires. But for the price, especially being from maxxis, you really can't go wrong.

I'm like you. We can't pump our own gas here but I get out and talk to/watch the pumper. (especially when it's a cute chick) (or some tweaked out looking dude.. I hate tweakers!) Same with tire shops. I watched them mount my 33x9.5's. It was funny though he literally said "If they rub I can get out the saws-all." That's why I love Mom & Pop shops. I never go to known places like Midas or Les Schwab.

Lol ya the place I went to was kinda like that, out in the shop they had a air powered Tire machine an electric tire balancer and good ol floor jacks, that was it. They were pretty cool. I took my mother in laws Sport track there last summer and had them put on some coopers and after going back again im pretty pleased with thier service. Next time I buy tires I will definitly be going back to them.

Im uploading new Pictures, Buckshot XMT Mudders on all 4 corners, :D thing seems to sit atleast a good inch inch and a half higher than before. I have to run to walmart then I will link them up in about an hour or so :D

Here it is :D
SDC10603.jpg

here is a pic side by side with my Mother-in-laws 02 Sport Trac, when I first got my X it sat at about the same height... :D now it definitly sits higher
SDC10602.jpg

SDC10604.jpg

here is a back pic, I should mention that the rear of my ex is kinda sitting in a whole so keep that in mind.
SDC10605.jpg

Looks good.

Back