Buddy's 1999 Ford xplorer took in water | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buddy's 1999 Ford xplorer took in water

buddyhydrolocked

Reaction score
My buddy called me today and asked me to come look at his truck at this mudding spot we always go to. He said that he hit the mud pit and his car just died. My buddy Joe was there and removed the air cleaner and hose and propped the throttle plate open to let it air out.

Now when I got there it was running and they were revving it up. It wouldn't idle with out revving it and I noticed they didn't have the MAF in. I decided to put it back in and it wouldn't idle but sounded better. I then stood there and held the throttle plate at about 2000 RPM just to try and let the engine warm up and evaporate the water. I did that for about 5 mins.

After that it still wouldn't freaking idle I was getting pissed of standing in the mud stuck a stick in the throttle plate to hold it at 2000 RPM and let it sit there for a good 10 mins. After that it idled okay but kept dying. We finally got it to run and took it to a tow shop near here were there going to work on but I have some questions

1. Could it just be his idle control sensor?
2. Could taking in that much water really screw his car up?

I must say he has had his idle control replaced twice before this and that he has taken in water before (had a cat-tail stuck in his idle hole on the throttle plate). Also I saw no water in his trans/engine oil when i checked it myself.

I know its a lot of reading but thanks for bearing with me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just a thought... maybe his ignition system was wet. If it was hydrolocked it would start at all???

Well maybe I'm wrong about it being "hydrolocked." I didn't want to say flooded. It took in water like the title says, not hydro locked haha :D

well

i have been working with fords for 2 years know and my boss has been working for ford for 26 years we both overlooked ur situation and have determine what we beleive sound like the ics which is an idle control sensor im not sure the part number but what it does is allows air to enter the engine its located on top of the igniton intake it has this spring in side of it that opens a valve to let air in if u look for it it has a black cap on top its a circular tube i recomend taking that off and cleaning it with electrical safe cleaner and do the same to the maf sensor usualy these to item with short out do to water but the still work but not to there fullest which in return causes a nasty idle or no idle at all try that and get back at me with the results if not i have 2 other things for u to try
good luck

Start by cleaning the MAF sensor. It's a very common problem when water enters the air box. It also happens over time, but the mud and water in the air box acclerate the gunking of the sensor. When it gets coated, it can't determine how much air is flowing past it and therefore does not give it the proper amount of fuel. It's obviously more noticeable at idle.

It's really easy, get yourself some carb cleaner and spray the crap out of it, ensuring you get the little resistor things really good.

i have been working with fords for 2 years know and my boss has been working for ford for 26 years we both overlooked ur situation and have determine what we beleive sound like the ics which is an idle control sensor im not sure the part number but what it does is allows air to enter the engine its located on top of the igniton intake it has this spring in side of it that opens a valve to let air in if u look for it it has a black cap on top its a circular tube i recomend taking that off and cleaning it with electrical safe cleaner and do the same to the maf sensor usualy these to item with short out do to water but the still work but not to there fullest which in return causes a nasty idle or no idle at all try that and get back at me with the results if not i have 2 other things for u to try
good luck

I believe the terminology you are looking for is IAC, which is the Idle Air Controller. Ford does not call it a sensor because it actually senses nothing. It is told by the PCM(which gets it's information from the MAF sensor, O2 sensors, and other varios sensors) how much open up.

yes that is corect i am just starting with engines but we had a problem like this a month ago well you live and learn thanks for the info cant wait to be able to tell the boss the actual name lol damn ford mechanics lol thanks again

Back