budget build rear diff ?

Four0Sport

Jack from JackOffRoad
Reaction score
City, State
West Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 2dr
after getting my 4 inch lift on and semi-aligning the tires myself i thought i would take my 93 sport 3.27 open diff down the road to an old strip mine lot. I didnt do any hardcore 'muddin' but i took it through some holes and over some terrain and was pleased with how my explorer performed EXCEPT when i purposely backed down into a good sized rut and tried backing out the opposite side. spin spin spin. now i knew i would have to do something gear wise if i wanted to make my truck capable enough for some trails but i like my 3.27s. strange i know.

being on a budget I have 2 options really. find a rear disc 3.27 LS rear end or lock my 3.27. a friend at a salvage yard priced me a LS rear end with calipers for $250. after rotors, pads, a new master cylinder, and installing everything myself im looking at around $350 for a nice posi rear end. my dad and i were talking about it and he said i would prbly be better off with a locker. problem is i dont know the first thing about lockers, well not enough to know what the best option would be for me.

sooo im finally get to the purpose behind this thread. What would be the best 'budget' locker for the 8.8? im not gonna be rock crawlin or burying myself in mudholes, im really just looking for something to make my truck a little more capable and still retain good performance on pavement. if any of you guys could try to point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you have 3.27's?i thought ford's lowest in the explorer/b2/and ranger was 3.73's...n e way's i think you would be better gearing up to 4.10's or 4.56's depending on what size tire you run,then think about a locker.i think there is some 97 8.8's with 410's and ls.the good side to that is they have disk brakes.you'll then have to regear up front.

Actually he does have 3.27's, and so do I, dont give out bad info. I do agree about the regearing though. You like 3.27? Ofr me they are far to sluggish and even in the simplest of situations are no help. the 4.0s just dont have the torque. Yo ucan get a good deal on a second gen rear with 4.10 if you look and wait. Dont go throught the trouble of a new axle and same ol' gears. just my two cents.

I didnt give out bad info read my my post i believe it went as so...
you have 3.27's?i thought ford's lowest in the explorer/b2/and ranger was 3.73's...

a rear diff change i can do myself, chaning the front assembly is something that i dont have the tools or patience for. and when you cant DIY you POTA (pay out the ass). still interested in what kind of lockers are good for light trails and still retain on pavement performance.

An aussie locker and detoit air-locker are very good.Call you local 4 wheel parts and talk to them about actual options or look up the hotline and talk to a rep.Do not call a napa or discount auto everyone that works there is off alittlebit, and not to metion they are sellsmen not mechanics.

I didnt give out bad info read my my post i believe it went as so...
you have 3.27's?i thought ford's lowest in the explorer/b2/and ranger was 3.73's...

They were available with 3.27's, 3.55's, 3.73's, and 4.10's.

You really do need to change your gears though those 3.27's are going to kill your transmission, those things are hard to keep going under normal situations let alone the kind of stress your putting on it. What size tires are you running?

An aussie locker and detoit air-locker are very good.Call you local 4 wheel parts and talk to them about actual options or look up the hotline and talk to a rep.Do not call a napa or discount auto everyone that works there is off alittlebit, and not to metion they are sellsmen not mechanics.

I am an ASE certified manager at advance auto.. its ok though, i work with idiots.

to answer some of the ?s, im running 31s right now and when they wear down will be moving up to 32s. dont really have any plans on going bigger than that.

It is flat where you live. I have 31" Bigfoot X/T 's and my 4.0 and 3.73's are not good enough!!!!!

West Virginia.. the 'mountain' state. even with an automatic my truck still performs well. its not the quickest thing up and down these hills but it rides great, runs great, and doesnt seem to be hindered by the tires or lift.

I had 3.27 open, on 33 inch tires, and i hated it. went out to the salvage yard lookin for 4.10's for some time, eventually i came home with 3.73 LS. 180.00 for the rear and the ifs front. Yes i should of waited for the 4.10's but i like the improvement with the 3.73's, the 4.0 is a dog, but i got some mods that help it out a bit, so im ok with the 3.73's. Im no trail expert, but a stock limited slip might do well on light trails.

yeah ive been thinking the same thing, going with a 2nd gen rear disc 3.73 LS rear end would also be a good time to do SOA. gotta wait for the funds to build back up, gas is killin my wallet.

Back