sextion525
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
Since my new shop is done we decided to put it to the test tonight and build some sliders for my buddy's Tacoma.

It started out by them bring over a brand nude HF pipe kinker.
01.jpg

02.jpg

It made crazy good bends! :p
03.jpg

Discouraged... we pondered what to do next.
04.jpg

When all else fails... break out the welder!
05.jpg

(Bottle courtesy of Josh S.)

Phil draws up some diagrams...
06.jpg

Ben and Gordon fire up the BBQ...
07.jpg

Then welds are added to the sides of the die to prevent the pipe from kinking (too badly)...
08.jpg

Phil cleans them up with the grinder
09.jpg

The first tube is bent, plate welded on, and Phil is turning the 35 degree cut into a 45 degree cut with my grinder. Notice how he fogs up the shield to prove he has mad grinding skillz.
10.jpg

11.jpg

Chop saw action
12.jpg

One half-way done slider = 25% done with the project. :p
13.jpg

Where the magic happens
14.jpg

15.jpg

Check out that notch job! I have amazing skillz too!
16.jpg

17.jpg

One finished slider
18.jpg

19.jpg

On to #2
20.jpg

Ben was a ton of help! :D
21.jpg

Going on..
22.jpg

Hi-lift test
23.jpg

Finished!
24.jpg

25.jpg

Thank you for your time. See you next weekend. :D :p :cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

section525 said:
It started out by them bring over a brand nude HF pipe kinker.
Brand NUDE, eh? :)

Nice job guys. That look of discourgment in priceless. I've had that same look many times. Just wondering why do you have those small little pieces of pipe turned in that direction and positioned towards one end.

Nice shop and tools also. I noticed the sharpies on the floor. No fab work shop would be complete without those under rated markers. I go to Office Max and buy them by the box HA HA

One other thing. That's the kind of pics I like. where you show the guys working on the projects with the welders flashing, grinders sparking, men sweating so bad that you can smell him next to you. OK, mignt just got carried away a little :D But it does give it a human element and a face behind those welds.

The pipes are probably used to keep the highlift in place or for strapping while wheeling. Just a guess!

Nice work!

A sort of step will slide up and pin into those tubes for street use. That way his GF can get in easier. Then pull the pin and remove the step for offroad use. Pretty damn injeanyus if you ask me. :cool: :p

Nice photo essay. :thumbsup:

Nice lookin' Yota! Is it a full width SAS?

That kinked tube photo should be stickied, to warn people about cheap benders. ;)

I know it's a Waggy 44. Don't know if it's the same as mine or a wide trac one.

Apparently a lot of people have good results with that bender if they grind the 1.25" die out so a 1.75 tube will fit in it (which we did). But yeah, for the most part it sucks. Especially bends over 10 degrees. :p

and to think i was gonna get one of those benders. guess ill have to get a real (expensive) one

Nice job :thumbsup: So what was up with the pipe bender, why did it kink the pipe? Would heating up the pipe help at all?

The problem is it's a pipe bender trying to bend tube.

We'll probably try and build the walls of the die up more.. and a few other modifications to make it work one last time before we axe it completely. But, I was thinking about buying a real tube bender anyways. We'll see what happens first. :p

section525 said:
The problem is it's a pipe bender trying to bend tube.

We'll probably try and build the walls of the die up more.. and a few other modifications to make it work one last time before we axe it completely. But, I was thinking about buying a real tube bender anyways. We'll see what happens first. :p

You close enough, you could always borrow mine..

That is one awesome write up Johnny. I love the pic of me with the mask all steamed up. lol. Its almost time to get started on our sas's now.

tdavis said:
You close enough, you could always borrow mine..

That would be cool. I may borrow it for a weekend and see if it's something I can handle. :p Which brand/model do you use?

It's a Protool 105HD, setup in vertical with hydraulic. Makes it easier to get level (one direction, instead of two) and also bend straight pieces. It also breaks down flat.

got 1.75, 1.5, and 1.0" dies (all smallest CLR for that die size)

I want to see your rig get some rails next 525, then I can copy your design for mine. Looks like you guys had a blast, EZ J was talking about it last night.

tdavis said:
It's a Protool 105HD, setup in vertical with hydraulic. Makes it easier to get level (one direction, instead of two) and also bend straight pieces. It also breaks down flat.

got 1.75, 1.5, and 1.0" dies (all smallest CLR for that die size)

Yup. Sounds like something I'll have to demo. :cool: :D

badge49 said:
I want to see your rig get some rails next 525, then I can copy your design for mine. Looks like you guys had a blast, EZ J was talking about it last night.

It will be down the road a bit. I need to get the BL out first. But bring yours over and we'll do it next weekend! You should have swung by last night! :thumbsup:

that is one *****in taco! what size tires and how much lift? great work with those sliders to

37s. Probably about 10-12" of lift. It has some pre-designed SAS kit on it.. with Rancho 44044 springs.

smalljohn4kp.jpg

^^^ a rare shot of the elusive section525, caught mid-dance, err something. I am not really sure what he is doing, but you can see the sliders and the step really well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lol this is a funny thread...the sliders turned out pretty good guys! We need to make some for mine, that is when you monkeys figure out how to use that kinker!! :D Ren has the JD2 bender up here, maybe he would be nice enough to let us borrow it...

Post is over here turning his rig into a prerunner...ditched the overload leaf and is cranking the torsion bars hahaha. I better not have to get that bottle filled next time my lazy ass works on my truck again :( any idea of the current pressure? (too lazy to go out to the bangbarn and hook up the reg to it)

Back