Build quality, construction and reliability of new Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Build quality, construction and reliability of new Explorer

TaxiDriver

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
How is the build quality of the current Explorers? And how is the predicted reliability of the new Explorer, from the research you guys have done? I have tried to find the predicted reliability, but are all over the place.

I am looking to get back into American engineering -had a Ford Aerostar that went 190k miles (but replaced transmission at only 90k) and owned a 1995 Windstar that went to 200k miles, but with tons of vehicle recalls that was at the dealer every 2 months. Have owned Acuras up til now with minimal service and great build quality.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like the build quality of new Fords, own 2011 Edge & Explorer and 2012 Fusion.

I too have been a Honda/Acura guy for 11+ years as I felt value for the dollar wasn't there in the American autos. A ton of research for a crossover/SUV had me looking at the Ex on a very short list this year.

As you have/will read on the forum, MFT is awesome but still not mature and for a few causes some real pain. Minor issues for me, and slower than I would like at startup (about 1.5 minutes to become stable). Now that I have had my Ex for about 6 months and 10K miles, I can easily say the research was right on target. The fit and finish of the truck is as good as my Acura and Honda, Ford really put effort into the small details to make this a reliable and enjoyable SUV. One good example of this attention to detail is how very quiet the inside of the Explorer is at road speeds. Ford, with the Explorer, has raised the quality bar to compete head to head with high end Europe and Japan in this class.

I wanted to support American jobs, but only for those who earn my business and not just a hand out. 6 months and 10K miles, my Explorer has been back to the dealer only to change the oil and rotate the tires. I bought this truck for 200K miles and the indications so far is Ford built this one to last.

Build Quality, Construction, and Reliability

I used to question the buiild quality of American automobiles, and to me the quality is on a par or better than what is being manufactured overseas. In 2008 and after a lot of research, I purchased a Ford F350 diesel dually to pull my 35 foot fifth wheel rv. I am no longer pulling anymore and had to get a new vehicle to drive. The fit and finish of my 2008 was so good, and the ideas that Ford designers developed were equalliy good that I had no trouble purchasing a new Explorer.

My very first lease was a '99 Windstar which I had for 3 years and no problems. Then test drove a '02 Explorer but found the ride too stiff. Spent the next 10 years with Toyota leasing '02,'06 and '09 Highlander Limiteds. Saw a picture of the 2011 Explorer and read it was no longer on a truck frame and placed an order last December. Had a friend take over the remaining 2 1/2 years left on the Highlander lease. The Ex is the first vehicle I've ever ordered without having been able to drive, touch or see in person. No regrets. I have it on a 48 month lease and am seriously considering buying it at lease end.:thumbsup:

Back