Build your dream explorer! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Build your dream explorer!

I'd like essentially what I have now but with the 5.0L and 4r70w. I'd be quite happy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well my dream would be:

any year Lincoln Aviator
keep the 32v 4.6
keep the tranny
heavily modify the independent front and rear or solid axles front and rear
selectable locker(s)
Atlas II
35" rubber
rocksliders front and rear custom bumpers winch the whole 9 yards
custom roll cage keeping the interior as stock as possible

Then wheel the b!tch
Hopefully some day

Tim

sport

2002 Sport
4.0 SOHC
AWD
IRS
5r55s
4.10's

with a couple turbo's ;)

I would have made a first gen explorer XL trim because i like it simple and sleeper look but with gravelguard to prevent those damn rocker panel from chipping and rusting. Military green painted with anti-rust canadian army tank paint. Lifted 2 or 3 inches with a TTB front more solid but will put better bushings everywhere. Firestone Destination A/T 31 inches.

4.0L OHV V6 because i have not seen a lot of those engines died before the truck died. German made in Cologne and as some of you may know German trucks engines are solids as hell. Put a supercharger in it just enough to get over 200hp to replace the stock 165hp with headers , double exhaust, injectors, chips etc etc etc

A4LD but rebuilded as heavy duty bullet proof transmission and make cooling lines that dont go in the engine rad but instead put two inlines aluminum heavy duty 6 pass tranny rads with one fan on each.I dont like manual tranny and too much electronic tranny so the A4LD is my best choice.

BW1354 Electric transfer case with push in button but i would make my own in-dash switch to replace the switches that seems to be a lot faulty in those first gen.

3.73 limited slip differential front and rear ...just enough to be between highway mileage and town or uphill-downhill mileage

Auto-locking hubs.....dont want to get out of the truck when its rain or heavy cold and snow to simply turn buttons. When i will get a child i wouldnt want to make him sick because i had only to get out of the truck to turn those stupids manual locks. Or during a wedding...you go somewhere dusty or lot of muds you are clean clothed for a wedding and you have to get out to turn the hubs lol

Rear disk brake ..why??? Logic...it brake better.

Interior normal cloth dark gray cd player good sound system ,dvd player, and a big lockable plastc box in my trunk to put some tool and spare parts like hose, fuses, tire repair kit etc.

'01 limited pearl white..tan interor all opinions.... 4.6 v8, 4r70w, IFS/soild axle, 4x4, 4:10LS, disk brakes all around, 3" lift with 32" tires, HIDs.

my dream!

1997 limited, AWD, black with XP8 bodykit, dart block 363 with 351C closed aussie heads, TT, stock height, 3.27s, built 4R70W, and 18" black cobra R's with chrome lip.

I can't make a decision on one, so I'll build a few.

2001 Limited, 4WD, 5.0 V8, Deep Wedgewood Blue, Med. Prairie Tan Leather, w/ basically every option.

2003 Sport 4X4 XLT Premium Pckg., Silver Birch Met., Med lint Leather, and all other options offered.

Saleen XP8, any color because they all look good on it.

And last, but not least, my current explorer.

-Marc

Hmmm.. Dream Explorer...

I would go with a 2002-current body length in 2 dr trim...I really wish my 99 had the extra length in the back...

I would use the 3-valve 4.6 ohc V8 or the 24 valve twin turbo 3.5 V6 from the new SHO...Oh and real dual exhaust with some bite to it...Borla, Magnaflow, Flowmaster all come to mind...

Definitely want the 6 speed auto from the current model...

Trim could be Limited or EB...Current Sport didn't have leather,puddle light/heated mirrors, fog lights or overhead console when I got it..It does now...

2 wd and a lowered suspension with IRS rear...Makes high speed handling so much more fun...Besides I don't need off road capabilities... That is what helicopters are for...

Larger disk brakes all around...6 piston front/4 piston rear calipers...13" front rotors/12" rear rotors...

More room for storage out of the way...Light bars, front mounted computer, and radios take up way too much room in my Sport...

But since Ford is not about to build a Sport on the 4 door chassis I guess I will settle for dropping a 4.6 3v and 6 speed from a later model Explorer or a DOHC SHO engine and adapt a tranny in my 99 Sport!!!

Well it's not 100% stock ex parts like the title rules, but here's what it is (and i'm in the process of building it.. well i have the ex and i'm collecting the parts i need for this build)

first gen 4 door.
'91 4.0 block w/ the large chamber mahle heads, and later dished pistons for lower compression. turbo @ as much psi as it will handle safely.

built a4ld w/ a good cooler. (i'd go 700r4 conversion too if i can afford it)

high pinion dana44 front w/ 9" rear (78/79 ford pair) or dana 60's (whatever i can get my hands on)

4-link front and rear (possibly leaf rear w/ torsion bar)

1994 XLT , 4BT, C6, Atlas II, Ford 9" F/R with disks, 4.56 gears, OX lockers, 37" Swampers. All black.

99 4 door
Cut the back to make a small bed
351 stroker on propane
C6
Atlas 4 speed
Hi9 with portals with ARB's
4 wheel steer
4 link front and rear
14" coilovers
38.5's SX
Stazworks 2 piece wheels.

Back