• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Building a new 4.0

P

Pete

This may take more work than you think. In my experience, the Aerostar engine is not conducive to external modifications because the engine compartment is VERY tight (I have a '90). It also runs hotter, again because of the enclosed engine compartment, so you'd better upsize the radiator and get a high-flow water pump. I also don't see how the heck you'll get headers in there, but I might be wrong. I was not able to find anyone who made headers for the 3.0V6 in the Aerostar when I was checking this. Besides that the Aerostar is comfortable, quiet, spacious, well-made (at least mine is) and is a great highway cruiser although it suffers from body roll etc. due to the high CG and the squishy suspension. Good luck.

D

danny

My father called me today wanting to know if I would help him build a 4.0. I guess he is getting a 91 Aerostar for $100 that has a blown motor. The people that had it (My aunt and uncle) thought that the 100000 mile maintanence free meant that they didn't have to change the oil, etc... I guess it took close to 99000 or so before they scattered it, punching a rod cap through the oil pan. So, my father is thinking about buying it and wants to build it back a little stronger, i.e. - headers, exhaust, 10:1s, cam, TB, KKM, chip, ported heads and intakes, the works. He says that he just wants "enough power to haul me and 4 or 5 friends and all thier golf & bowling equipment." Yeah, sure.
smile.gif

------------------
My .02

Danny