Building a workbench | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Building a workbench

Hartman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0
Hey guys, I have plans to build a workbench but I have a question. What sort of wood should I use? I want the wood to be strong and look decent unfinished, but I don't want to spend over $100 on the wood itself (the workbench is only going to be about 4 feet long).

Any suggestions would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ipozestu

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Mateo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sportie
2x4's and 3/4" plywood man. Cheapest way to go, strong as hell too.

FrankRizzo

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
330 XLT
D

If you have a Home Depot nearby (who doesn't?) they sell pre-fabbed countertops already covered with laminate that makes them easy to clean - thye might even have one that is around 5 foot long in stock. You can mount it to a 3/4 plywood base, and you end up with about a 1-1/2 inch thick countertop. The problem is that they have a backsplash on them - but if you don't want stuff rolling off the back it might be the way to go!
In my buddy's garage we used some 2 hour rated commercial doors for a countertop, but the holes from the door hardware are a PITA.

Nothing seems to work as well two layers of 3/4" CDX plywood glued and screwed together, covered in laminate. Since plywood comes in 4x8 sheets, it's halfway custom cut for you...

james t

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Texarkana AR/TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 SAS sport
as much as i hate to agree with Rizzo, i say follow his suggestion. i am using my reloading bench in the garage as a work bench, and i made it with a pre-fab counter top. its about 5 foot long, and 2.5 foot wide. works great. i have beat the hell out of it, and its still holding up.

AlaskanJack

Elite Cabin-Fever Captain
Reaction score
City, State
Centralia, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 , 93 & 01 Sports
Well I have made (in the past) a whole workbench out of 3/4 particle board. Looked just like cabinets with countertop. I even made some upper cabinets. I doubled some for the top then used some casing for a drip edge. At first I just painted the top gray, but then later I got some broken sheets of laminate from supply store for almost nothing and laminated the top and sides. My cost for all this was less than $70 and I ended up getting a work area of like 8x8 with a corner section. The top was similar to this pic from some designs I created a few years back. just picture it with base cabinets and on each side of the corner was a wing.

AlaskanJack

Reaction score
City, State
Centralia, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 , 93 & 01 Sports
Oooppps hit submit b4 I added pic

Attachments

• desk.jpg
    desk.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 299

Crankcase

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver B.C, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XL Ex-Police
What is a drip edge CAD master AJ ????:confused:

taxx

Make em say Ugh
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
73 EB
4 foot long, but how deep? And plywood works great as a top and cheap. For the frame I wold go with 2x6s instead of 2x4s. Maybe even 2x8s. At the corners but two pieces together into a 90 degree ange for strength. it will look like and L. You will get more support and more lateral stability.

IgotTwo

Reaction score
City, State
Branchburg, N.J.
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT - 97 XLT SOHC
Nothing seems to work as well two layers of 3/4" CDX plywood glued and screwed together, covered in laminate. Since plywood comes in 4x8 sheets, it's halfway custom cut for you...

This has always worked for me too ...only I no do lam the top. I just "poly the H#$ out to the top ....when it starts looking crummy...I get out the belt sander and just re poly the top.

AlaskanJack

Reaction score
City, State
Centralia, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 , 93 & 01 Sports
Originally posted by Crankcase
What is a drip edge CAD master AJ ????:confused:

Ever notice how the front of counter tops have a raised section at front its called the drip edge. It stops crap from dripping off counter, mainly it keeps water from flowing off counter. Here is an image of what I mean

Attachments

• drip.jpg
    drip.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 236

VairKing

Midwest-Xplorer Member
Reaction score
City, State
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 EB V8 AWD
If you can find an old steel door, like from the front of a house, without a window, that is the BEST thing I have found to use. You can beat the piss out of it, it wont break, it wont stain, its heavy, and strong. :D

mattadams

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Longmont, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
When my office shut down and "emergency moved" to another location, I swiped (with permission of course) three cubicle desk top's and the filing cabinets that support them (four filing cabinets). Now I have about 15 feet of good solid workspace, for free :).

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Cut 1/4" plywood to fit the top and screw it down; then you can simply replace it when it gets boogered up/

rocket 5979

Resident Gearhead
Reaction score
City, State
Lake Villa, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT 4.6
Though it would cost more than $100 i think it would be pretty nice to build a multipurpose work/reload/build engine/please the wife bench out of 1/4" flat stock. and get some good size angle iron for the legs and diagonal bracing. Then i would get it all Rhino-lined. and for those SPECIAL OCCASIONS, i would have a leopard skind car cover (hey got to stick with the garage theme!) for whenever the misses wants to know what your doin out in the garage. lol. Ok so i am sick but at least she wont fully object to the idea once she has had a chance to demo it. Oh by the way i would also be required to put the minimum amount of equipment such as drill press, computer controlled metal lathe, RCBS Rockchucker press w/ powder trickler scales and the works. Wow i just thought to be able to fit alllll that and the misses i think i need more room. Better go the smart safe way and just build another garage. Or maybe a machine shed. Oh man this could be fun!!!! Oh sorry i got a ilttle overboard with my idea. Back to the subject. Yeah 2x6's for frame and heck just go with some 2x6's for the top too while you are at it. And put it all together with some 3" lag bolts. :p

Hartman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0
Well I got my lumber today. I got 7 2x6s, 2 8x4x4 posts for the legs, and an 96x48 sheet of laminated pine for the top. I got a little more than I needed just so I didn't have to go back and get more. The total cost for the lumber was $75.55, well under my $100 budget. The only other purchase I need to make is a Craftsman vice which should be another $40 or so. I will post pics of it when I'm done.

Hartman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0
BTW, it took some creative thinking to fit all that wood inside my Ex that has a sub box for 3 12s.

taxx

Make em say Ugh
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
73 EB
Shipping a vise would cost a fortune

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hartman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0
Originally posted by FrankRizzo
you can probably do better than Crapsman...

You are an evil man.