Building my first box - how's this look? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Building my first box - how's this look?

Reaction score
City, State
Florissant, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Limited
So I am going to step out and build my first box. Here is what I have - 2 10" subs (some MTX ones that I have from a previous build) and a 12" Kicker L7. I am running 2 Kicker amps - a 750.1 (to the L7) and a 700.5 (hooked up to my 4 door speakers and the 2 10"s). My current setup has all of this in it, just 2 boxes - which I absolutely hate.

Attached pics are a mock up of what I have in mind. I want to have the box fit under the cargo cover, so each box is 12" high.

The middle box is 1.94 ft^3. Kicker recommends .88 - 2.0 ft^3 for the sealed L7. The bottom of the box is 14x20. It has an 8" top, 2 inch rise on the front.

The sides are .74 ft^3. MTX recommends .6-1 ft^3. These bottom of these boxes are 12x11. The top is 2" and these also have a 2" rise.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 551
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 542
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 541

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT use two different types of subs....it will sound like ass.

Either use one or the other in a proper enclosure.

can you explain more?

I currently have both sets in the truck now, just in different boxes - and they sound great together. The 10s are in a dual sealed box. The L7 is in a sealed box as well, 2 ft^3. I am just wanting to put them into 1 box to conserve space in the back of the truck and so it doesn't look like 2 boxes thrown in there.

first off the response of each setup is completely different and you can get twice the sound with one setup in a proper box.

second it just looks super ghetto

You are going to get cancellation from the subs. The subs move at different speeds, they are different sizes and it would sound so much better to do either the tens or just the 12 in a box made to be loud. To hard to explain. Just take my word for it. I am in school for car stereo right now.

would you put a V8 big block with a small I-4 in a vehicle just because you had them both??

two completely different specs.

I can even design you a ported box that would kick ass if you wanted for free

aznboi3644, no I wouldn't put in 2 engines. Its obvious that I am not sure of my design, so I asked.

Sure, I will take you up on a design. I assume that it is for the L7 correct? I can't see the 2 10" MTXs doing much more than the L7.

Thanks for the help.

Well, which series MTX's are they? They could possibly outperform a single L7, it depends on the model, and exactly what you want out of them. If you want musicality, the MTX's may be the way to go. If you want all-out street pounding balls, those L7's are tough to beat.

They are the cheap 4500 series, specifically the T4510-04.

I have had them in the truck before, they sounded ok - but I wanted more kick out of them. Then I stepped up to the L7. I kinda want the best of both worlds. I listen to some rap but mostly alternative.

Honestly, I am not opposed to grabbing a different sub. I have a friend who wants to buy the L7 off of me. Not really looking to spend over $250 on the sub(s) though.

The main objective is to ensure that I can have the box covered under the cargo net and that I get the best sound (bang) for my buck.

My friend bought two L7's in Houston the other day for around 199 each. 12's. You can sell the Mtx subs and the box they are in for another L7.

I take back my response.

I can design you a nice ported box for your L7. The 4500's suck balls IMO. Weak bass.

all I need is your maximum dimensions and how much power you have on tap.

yeah, not too empressed with the 4500s, hence getting the L7 afterwards. Will probably sell them to my bro. Anyway.........

The dimensions that I am looking at - less than 12" tall (fit under cargo slide). It can take up as much room as you need from there. Its in a 99 X, so I think that is 41" between the wheel wells, I am not sure how deep it is (my old man borrowed my truck tonight, so I can't run out and measure it).

Power - 1 Kicker 750.1 @2 ohms, putting out 750 watts.

Thanks for your help man!

ok well I'll have the design up later tonight...I usually stay up till around 2 in the am

Here you go...this should sound pretty good and get loud.

2.5 cu ft @ 34Hz

The sub can handle the full power of that amp fine in this enclosure and port velocity is pretty low so thats good. Just make sure the subsonic filter is turned on on the amp.

12L7.png

I'll post more information about the dimensions and cut sheet later if you want this design.

looks good, I would gladly take the cut sheet, etc. I appreciate your help man.

another question for you - had one of my friends out tonight. we were chatting about my original design and he was looking at the thread. he just picked up a couple of kicker 10s (the CVX series). Oddly enough, he has an explorer as well - is that something you can mock up a box for? same basic idea, he likes to cover his up with the cargo cover too.

He was thinking of this wedge box he found here - http://www.decware.com/newsite/invertedwedge.htm - seems interesting......but what do I know?

I could do a design for them too. I'd do it tomorrow though.

I wouldn't go with the inverted wedge...it is just a sealed box. I mean if you're friend wants tight bass and not that loud...I hate sealed enclosures though. I always design and build ported unless the space is super small to work with

Here you go though with the cuts

All of the vertical panels are 10.5" tall

so

top and bottom: 36" x 15.5"

back: 36" x 10.5"

front: 32.25" x 10.5"

left: 14.75" x 10.5"

port I: 10.25" x 10.5"

port II: 10" x 10.5"

right: 14" x 10.5"

12L7dimensions.png

Which box program are you using?

That looks like Sketchup drawings based on WinISD figures.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

correct...I use WinISD and pen and paper first...then model up the box on SketchUP

Back