Building "Woopah!" - BislamJoe | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Building "Woopah!" - BislamJoe

Ok! Here's the deal. As many of you know, I am totally nuts. I was planning to swap in a 4.9L inline-six and AOD, widen the TTB, run coilovers, 9" rear, etc. etc.

But! I have a new idea. My dad and I are going to build a 4x4 over the course of a few summers. Here's MY idea. Use a 78-79 F150 SWB frame or a 80-96 F150 SWB frame. (i still haven't decided between a really built TTB or a solid D44 front) Use the 4.9L inline-six and a Lentech AOD tranny. Mount the engine farther back than normal, then mount a 4-door Explorer body. Cut the rear fenders to be not unlike CoryL's, cut the front fenders similarly, to clear 37's. The wheelbases don't match up - the F150 is a little longer, but that's good, I'll put my front wheels a little further up. Roll cage, maybe coilovers, etc. Cut off any overhanging frame, mount some heavy-duty bumpers, trim the rear quarter panel overhang off.

How's it sound?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why go through all that? Just build a custom like they have in the rock crawling championships?!?!? I dunno, that's a LOT of work, I'd go full custom so your not bound by dimensions and trying to rig things up so they fit. Just my $0.02

Sounds great!!!

My only advice would be to totally scratch the idea of using the TTB unless you plan on doing trails ONLY or doing some pre-running.

Find a D44 or D60 front and go from there. Leaf or coil? Your call. Leafs are easier to setup, but the use of coils will allow you to make whatever wheelbase, approach and departure angles, and suspension travel you want.

Hehe - i am pretty much going full custom. Just not paying a fab shop, and it should come out cheaper. It won't be too much work, no more than Ryan (arsoul) is doing.

CoryL - if I can get 'hold of a 78-79 F150 SWB 4x4 frame and axles only for the same or less than a 80-96 frame and axles only, then I'm going solid. But, I'll be doing some trail work, as well as a little desert-blasting. So the TTB might be my best choice, since I won't hit the rocks as often as other stuff.

BTW - I'm not cutting up any complete, driveable vehicles for this. All junkyard stuff pretty much. I.E. - rolled F150 for the frame/axles, pull the engine from what i can find it in, i need an EFI one. The Explorer body I can piece together or find a wrecked one like Cory did. The tranny is coming from Lentech (i don't wanna skimp on the tranny), and an Atlas II if I can afford one when the time comes. If i can't afford an Atlass, then I'll use the case from the base truck, i think.

I'm also thinking about rigging it for coils in the rear too. Does anyone know how hard that would be, on something like this where cutting up and rigging is no object?

Thanks Pete - and I won't forget your shipment

Hows the project coming along?

The project's waiting for summertime, but we're keeping an eye out for good donor vehicles for the present time, as well as assessing costs and how many "trick" parts we'll include. An Atlas II is in consideration, even words whispered about an Allison transmission, but I can almost promise that the Allison won't find a place between the rails. :p One likely scenario is maybe adding the Atlas II in place of the t-case from the fullsize later on down the road, but just use the stock case until the budget permits the Atlas.

MVC-004S.JPG

Check out the rear of this Yota for rear coil ideas. He lives just one town over from me and the thing is a monster of cool ideas. Those are 44's on it too... :D

Link to more pics of it.
http://www.rockstomper.com/images/trails/indy/021702/

As the budget permits, i know how it goes. later on down the road i plan on having fun with my tcase. i'm not going with the atlas, but rather with the Doubler. It takes the gear box from a np203 and bolts it to the np205. something like 10:1 when in low low.

Back