Built Ford TOUGH! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Built Ford TOUGH!

Built Ford TOUGH! (Pics Added)

Well, Tuesday morning on the way to work, my wife and I were hit in her car. She was driving when a red Pontiac Grand Am jumped into our lane, my wife swerved to avoid him, but he did not stop coming. He hit us, causing us to go into the concrete center divider wall at about 60mph. We then bounced off of the wall and slid through 3 lanes of traffic coming to a stop on the right shoulder.

We both walked away! We went to the hospital to get checked out, She and our baby due in August are OK. She bit her tongue pretty bad, sprained her wrist on the steering wheel. I smashed my ribs on the center console, they were not broken, but man do they hurt! (especially when coughing, sneezing or laughing)

The Taurus, well, it's not so good. The airbags did not deploy because we did not hit directly on the front, though the front is completely destroyed. The whole drivers side is pancaked, both headlights, bumper, core support, hood, windshiled, LF wheel and suspension and the passenger door is hit from the other car. If I had to guess, at 60mph, we probably bent the frame so it might be toast!

I will try to get some pics of it, it is at the other drivers insurance company (Geico) lot right now. I don't know if they will let me take pictures of it. I am going to try.

Attachments

• Taurus LF.jpg
    Taurus LF.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 544
  • Taurus RF.jpg
    Taurus RF.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 525
  • Taurus LR.jpg
    Taurus LR.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 506

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad you're all ok.

Yeah, glad you are all ok. That'd be scary especially with a baby on the way

Man, that has to suck. Its good to here you and your wife, especially the baby is ok.

Glad to hear all 2.5 of you are all right... :thumbsup:

its your car if they dont let you take pics then call the cops. you have every right to take pictures, and you should take some for your own records.

Like I told my wife, if I were driving, and especially if I was in the Mounty, I don't think that I would have swerved. I would've just laid on the horn and blasted the other driver, and it still would have been his fault, we just wouldn't have been hurt as much. But, that's not her personallity. She is the passive type where as I am the agressive type.

hey chris i was talking to you about it and wow that sucks...glad all you you are ok....I am intrested as evreybody else is in pic's of it.

Well.....I just checked my home Voicemail, we had a call from the Geico adjuster telling us that the car is totaled....A car shopping we will go!!!!!

good thing or bad thing...are they going to be resnable about the money they give you for a new car? BTW just curious what are you looking for?

Not really sure, maybe another Taurus. I was kind of playing around searching earlier. I looked for that exact same option package (2003 SES Sport with the blade 5spoke wheels, sunroof, spoiler, 24V DOHC 3.0 engine) and the best that I could find was one with 38k on the clock and it was $12k

Here is a Pic of one that I found on Autotrader that is just like ours:
85373966.197231069.IM1.MAIN.240x180_A.240x180.jpg

This is a close up of the wheel:
85373980.197231069.IM1.04.240x180_A.240x180.jpg

I really like the V8 Lincoln LS's. My parents have a 2002 and it is pretty sharp. If I could find one of them at a decent price with decent mileage, that would be cool.

I also saw a pretty cool 2004 Volvo S60 that was fire engine red with a 2.4 turbo, it was like 22 grand though.

The car would mainly be for my wife and I to take to work and back as well as to haul the new rug rat around. So it needs to be safe, get good mileage and what not for her, but it's gotta look cool for me too and have some balls.

The International auto show is here in Columbus this weekend, if we feel up to walking, I think that we are going to go on Sunday to do some prospecting.

Sorry to hear about the wreck, but glad to hear you're both ok :thumbsup:

I agree with you about holding your ground and blowing the horn... I have done both, it really depends on the moment as to how I react to a situation like that. Sometimes I swerve and then think to myself "I should have let the dumb ass hit me", but reflexes kick in and you do what you have to to avoid the hit :rolleyes:

When I'm driving the Ram Dualie and people pull that crap, I just hold my ground and I'm like "bring it on" you're going to lose!;) Part of the reason for that though is that any swerve with the dualie is going to put the rear end over the line and if anything is around me I'm going to smack it... Of course in a situation like that the guy who CAUSED you to swerve is just going to motor on down the road leaving you to deal with the carnage:rolleyes:

Again, glad you guys are ok!

Thanks,

I've done both too, and your right about the other guy rolling down the road. I don't think that we would have hit the wall if we hadn't swerved. Our car was bigger than the grand am by a couple hundred, if not a thousand pounds, but... our weight was offset by the car being upset from the swerve, so one little bump from him and BAM, right into the wall. There was only about a foot long red stripe on the passenger door from the grand am. And, it wasn't even dented in that much.

What really sucks is that in the adjusters VM, she said that since my car was more than 10k in value, we need to go to our insurance and have them take care of it. I am going to talk to my agent tomorrow (he is my wife's cousin so I get special after hours preferential treatment;).) I'm thinking that I'm gonna need a lawyer now. :rolleyes: :mad: :fire:

What sucks even more...Monday I ordered my AAL and 4 new Gabriel Max Control shocks for the Mounty. They came in Thursday and their sitting in my garage. My ribs hurt to damn mutch to even attempt to fight with rusted bolts right now.

chriswells78 said:
What sucks even more...Monday I ordered my AAL and 4 new Gabriel Max Control shocks for the Mounty. They came in Thursday and their sitting in my garage. My ribs hurt to damn mutch to even attempt to fight with rusted bolts right now.
wait it out get throse rib's healed up. Friends of mine have broke their ribs and they said that it didnt hurt right away but the next day they hurt and hurt for a week and thn it went away slowly.

Chris, glad to hear that you, your wife and especially your baby are OK. I know how crazy those Columbus drivers are. My wife was rear-ended a couple of years ago on 71 at Polaris Parkway, luckily are newborn was not in the car (wife was fine). You seem like a Ford Fanatic but have you looked at the Pontiac Grand Prix? My wife drive’s a 03 GT (4 door) with all the toy’s (leather, sun roof, traction control, HUD, On Star, Bose). It is a great family car, safe, very responsive, handles like it’s on rails, and looks great. She has told me more than once that the car outstanding brakes and handling have kept her out of an accident on the highway. I love to drive it and hate to admit it but it handle's BETTER in the snow than my Ex.

Advertising a GM is devils talk lol. As for Columbus drivers....what drivers, you cant call them that ;)

I'd rather push a Ford than drive anything else. LOL. They do get a little crazy here on the roads from time to time. We do have a 63 mile racetrack around our city called I-270 Superspeedway :eek: , LOL. As a matter of fact, the accident happend right off of 270. We were southbound on SR 315 and the other driver was Southbound entering 315 from 270 :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I lived in Columbus for about a year, its like NASCAR without a helmet, rollcage, or restrictor plates at times.. but not as bad as washington DC. It IS the only place I've known where 6 times last year people drove into oncoming traffic on a 4 lane (and got caught). Drivers in ohio in general are just plain poor (there are good ones, but mostly imports like me) :p

I think the biggest issue I've witnessed is in most areas (if not all) you can't legally U-turn (very dumb law) so everyones trying to get somewhere to turn around (cuz as is human norm, they were late leaving...)

my wife drives a '00 grand prix GT as well, very nice car, traction control actually works (unlike the one I had in a '94 grand am) left and right climate control is also very nice. handles the snow excellent.

Back