• Register Today It's free!

Built Ford Tough?

theoutlawtorn14

Reaction score
City, State
Clinton, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Last monday, I got in a very slow speed accident on middle of my passenger side, small dent.. The woman must have been going less than 5 mph, because her airbags didn't go off... just got an estimate today.. 3500$ in damage? replace door/doors, frame bent... all of this from a low speed collision? what happened to built ford tough... I was hoping for 1500-2000 max...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you seen this "bent frame"? Body shop may be trying to pull a fast one. It's take a good deal of force to bend a frame, usually not a 5mph collision. You could probably find the door/doors at a junkyard, and save $$. I agree, and I wouldn't have thought any where near 3500. Try getting another estimate.

Good luck,

Robb

yeah, get that checked out dude. I was driving my X's sunfire once and some B!tch in a explorer went through a stop sign and T-boned me. The sunfire was totaled by far but the darn explorer only needed a new front bumper and plastic piece beneath the bumper.

That mechanic needs to be :shoot:

Originally posted by morrisey0
Have you seen this "bent frame"? Body shop may be trying to pull a fast one. It's take a good deal of force to bend a frame, usually not a 5mph collision. You could probably find the door/doors at a junkyard, and save $$. I agree, and I wouldn't have thought any where near 3500. Try getting another estimate.

Good luck,

Robb

yeah i dont think its physically possible to bend a frame at 5 mph. that is thick steel. if possible i'd try and take it to a ford body shop.

i was in a similar accident the other day where this girl backed into me (the stupidity of some, ;) ) and dented the crap outta my front bumper. the first place i took it to was the ford collision place up the street from my house and the bill was 474.90 to replace the front bumper and brackets. i took it to another body shop for a second estimate right after that and they said there was 900 dollars worth of stuff wrong. so if i get in a wreck i only goto ford to get it fixed from now on. :(

back in march, someone flew down my street and hit my parked X. well the guy was going extremely fast because the collision knocked my truck 60ft from where it was. the impact sent this guy in another direction. all of this with no bent frame. u might want to have another place to look at it.

-ken :usa:

Originally posted by ksaldibar
back in march, someone flew down my street and hit my parked X. well the guy was going extremely fast because the collision knocked my truck 60ft from where it was. the impact sent this guy in another direction. all of this with no bent frame.

Now THAT'S Ford Tough!:thumbsup:

What body shop did you take it to? try oldwick auto body on 513 in lebanon twp they fixed my sisters car after she wrecked it. though they did go $1500 over estimate. I didnt see any damage @ wallyworld the other day. (can you tell i live 15 minutes from him? :))

I took it to CARS on 31. but I think the insurance company said I can only take it to CARS or B&B.. both on 31.. I'm gonna try and get another estimane..but cuz of insurance all we pay is the 500 deductable..

You probably didn't notice it because it is so small.. I don't think there is any way it's 3500 in damage.. I'm gonna look at it tonight and hopefully I can talk my mom into getting another estimate, but I don't think she will...

You should let the insurance company know also. They don't like getting ripped off either. Usually, they have more than 2 places to go to. I'd double check with them. If your mom doesn't want to get a 2nd opinion, remind her that your insurance rates will be effected by the amount of money they have to pay out. Good luck!

At least here in California, it is against the law for the insurance company to tell you where to take your vehicle. They aren't even allowed to suggest a body shop.

--Sean

Take it to B&B theyre expensive but ive heard they do good work. How much damage are we talking here? If its just a small dent I've got some tools to take out dents. If its just a simple dent it could probably be taken care of no problem. Im guessing the paint isnt messed up and even if it is thats not to bad to touch up ive painted entire vehicles its a big job but not too bad.

DesertSpive is right. It IS illegal to for an insurance company to TELL you where to take your vehicle.

I have worked in collision repair for 12 years now and $3,500.00 is a bit much , but not unlikely.
For starters , on a side hit your air bags WILL NOT go off.
Look at your rocker. ( below your door ) see if that is dented or bent. That is a structural piece and repair time on that can go up quick. Look also at the gap between the door and the fender , compare that to the opposite side. If it is more or less the same , you are good to go. If it is bigger a) your hinges are bent , b) your pillar bent. ( not good )
I would go to another shop. Look for a busy shop , with lots of nice cars. Also look for shops that are ICAR certified.

i think a lot of that $3500 is painting, cause they will have to paint that WHOLE side of your truck to try an "fan" in the color so it will match.

Originally posted by TarHeel085
they will have to paint that WHOLE side of your truck .
Nah , for a blend ( what you called a fan ) you only need one immediate pannel. ie. If you are replacing the front door the you will only need to blend the rear door and the front fender. All in all not that involved.

i got rear ended last week and the volvo that hit me got screwed up.... collision at 20 mph...... took out his bumper, lights, and grille on the left side..... only scratched the plastic bumper trim on dads 98 ranger..... bot hcars were driveable.....

Yeah nine time out of ten the dude with the front in the collision ends up worse than the dude with the rear.

my frame got bent a couple weeks ago. i was the front car in a three car rear ender. insurance totalled my truck. the worst part is that i got hit by a honda, and she was hit by a contour!

Here's some info that may come in handy for you guys. If you were hit hard enough, and your explorers frame didn't give, guess what would? YOU

I would much rather my explorer die in an accident than me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by drmoore71
insurance totalled my truck.

They totalled your 2000 ?????? That is not an easy task.

Back