• Register Today It's free!

Bulb#for 4wd Indicator Switch

alohamonte

Reaction score
City, State
Glendale, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 4.0 4x4
The light is out on the 4wd indicator switch. I opened it up and the only markings are JKL 8 and an S with a circle around it. Looks like the rear wiper switch uses the same bulb. A wedge style bulb with a green film over it.

It's much smaller than the bulb for the #194 for the air controls light.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The light is out on the 4wd indicator switch. I opened it up and the only markings are JKL 8 and an S with a circle around it. Looks like the rear wiper switch uses the same bulb. A wedge style bulb with a green film over it.

It's much smaller than the bulb for the #194 for the air controls light.

Thanks

I believe it's a T10, but unless you can salvage the green cover from the old bulb, you will not match the color. The replacement bulb includes the black plastic base.

Link:
http://www.autolumination.com/74.htm

You may need to email them. I've purchased the bulbs from them in the past, but I don't see them on their site now. Their site is hard to navigate.

so I replaced the two bulbs behind the temperature control switches, which were burnt out, and now all the green switches above it work again. This includes the 4x4 and defrosters switches. I cant believe this is setup like a string of xmas lights. But at least it was an easy fix.

so I replaced the two bulbs behind the temperature control switches, which were burnt out, and now all the green switches above it work again. This includes the 4x4 and defrosters switches. I cant believe this is setup like a string of xmas lights. But at least it was an easy fix.

Did you get your bulbs from the site Koda listed?

Also I presume they came with the matching green film or no?

Did I misunderstand the bulbs you were looking for? The heater control panel (the manual version) takes #194 wedge base bulbs like the instrument panel illumination bulbs, which are easy to find. No green "mouse condoms" for those.

All the lights in my center bezel were out. I bought a pack of #194 and opened up the bezel and found the heater/ac uses two 194 and the switches near the radio use the T10. I didn't have the T10s on hand, I didn't realize they were a different bulb, so I just replaced the two 194 bulbs and figured I'd order the T10s. I put the bezel back together and viola, it all works.

Did I misunderstand the bulbs you were looking for? The heater control panel (the manual version) takes #194 wedge base bulbs like the instrument panel illumination bulbs, which are easy to find. No green "mouse condoms" for those.

So the 194 bulbs are used behind the factory gauges and manual heater version. I also presume that the green backlighting is due to a green film on the actual plastic sections not the bulbs themselves?

What places specifically take the T10 bulbs? When you mean the green won't match, is this saying that unlike the 194 bulbs, the factory green color is only created because of the bulbs themselves having a green film on them which you can't get?

Just trying to understand everything and actually picture it in my head without having the truck apart in front of me to look at. I guess I will have to search to see if there is a thread already made on it and if not, start one once I finally get all the info together.

Is that the correct T-10?

The description says T-1 instead of T-10.

seems to me I replaced 2 switch bulbs with T8's. they worked, but were just a bit too small, so I had to install them very carefully so as to make sure they made electrical contact. I could be wrong about the size... it was 2-3 years ago. I've read threads about buying bulbs from Radio Shack and then having to install them into the original plastic base buy drill tiny holes and soldering. that's too much work for my taste - screw it.

seems to me I replaced 2 switch bulbs with T8's. they worked, but were just a bit too small, so I had to install them very carefully so as to make sure they made electrical contact. I could be wrong about the size... it was 2-3 years ago. I've read threads about buying bulbs from Radio Shack and then having to install them into the original plastic base buy drill tiny holes and soldering. that's too much work for my taste - screw it.

I finally ordered a service manual for my 2000, and have some dash lights out so I plan on trying to get all of this information together and post it up when I am done.

We got 9-10 inches of snow last night and it is supposed to get down to -5 to -15 this week. I know that isn't crazy like some of you all are used to, but that is a lot for KY to handle.

I can't wait until it warms up so I can get a lot of work done out in the garage. Even 40s-50s at this point would be awesome.

Back