• Register Today It's free!

Bulb out message

Explorer75

Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello

I´ve only had my 2013 XLT for 6 months, I´ve searched and looked in the manual, found nothing. Do 5th generation explorer have a message in the dash board when a bulb goes out?

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know if 2013s do, but my 2017 does.

I don't know if 2013s do, but my 2017 does.
Just curious as where that message is displayed. I used different forms of wording in searching the 2017 Manual and was not able to come up with anything other than a turn signal bulb failure. Perhaps it's a PIU thing?

Peter

My guess would be a message like low fuel or windshield water low, amber message on the left. I will probably take one bulb out and test it.

Just curious as where that message is displayed. I used different forms of wording in searching the 2017 Manual and was not able to come up with anything other than a turn signal bulb failure. Perhaps it's a PIU thing?

Peter

Unplugged the headlamp bulbs, drove for 20 minutes with the switch on, nothing happened, no message of any kind. My former 2010 would display an instant message with any bulb out. I guess Ford decided to cut some corners with the 5th Gen. It´s not really a concern but I really liked that function.

Thank you. Although I can't recall the last time I had a bulb go out, I agree it would be a handy feature to have. I've seen quite a few vehicles on the road with a tail light or brake light out.

Peter

Thank you. Although I can't recall the last time I had a bulb go out, I agree it would be a handy feature to have. I've seen quite a few vehicles on the road with a tail light or brake light out.

Peter

Your Explorer is 2017, has the face lift and is the Platinum trim, you have a lot of new stuff and hell lot better equipment, I would´t be surprised if yours has the lamp out feature. You could do a very easy test like I did, disconnect the headlamp bulbs, if you have HIDs I suggest you take out the fuses, they are in the engine compartment, check your manual to be sure. Of course do this in the day :D.

Cheers, Luis

Peter

This is what happens when you have too many cars. The Explorer, in fact, does NOT have such messages, my Focus does (Low Beam Lamp Fault/High Beam Lamp Fault etc).

This is what happens when you have too many cars. The Explorer, in fact, does NOT have such messages, my Focus does (Low Beam Lamp Fault/High Beam Lamp Fault etc).

Copy that, thanks.

I can confirm that. I just realized last night on my '13 XLT that both my driver's side puddle light and backup light were out. No message anywhere.

Back