Bumper paint repair | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bumper paint repair

rfs2005

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Base
Just noticed that some wise-guy hit the back corner of the bumper on my brand new silver Ex. The damage is only to the paint. There's a couple on small scratches, but they really show up against the silver.

Of course, the person left no contact info. What kind of cost am I looking at to repair this? The car's brand new. I still have paper tags on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If they aren't right down to the plastic, you might try some of those scratch removal products to see how that goes.

Peter

They don't look that deep, but I do see black under the silver paint. Also, I can see where paint is starting to bubble around the edge of the scratch.

Would factory touch up paint be the best solution for this, or should I have the body shop repaint the bumper?

My experience with touch up paint isn't very good. I had a stone chip on the hood of my Highlander many years ago and used the touch up paint stick. The repair was still noticeable and I knew it would bother me everytime I looked at it so I took it in and had the entire hood repainted at my cost.
You can try fixing it and see how it goes. You could also stop by the bodyshop and see what they suggest.

Peter

On a previous vehicle I had very good luck with a dentless repair/paint touch up place. The guy used an airbrush and mixed the paint on site. It was a silver on a plastic wheel molding and I couldn't tell when he was finished.

Maybe you have a place like this out by you:

http://carnica.com/Services/PaintRepair/tabid/709/Default.aspx

Good Luck and sorry to hear about the hit and don't bother to leave a note.... Gotta love it. NOT

Personally, I wouldn't want to get the whole bumper repainted on a brand new vehicle if the scratches are fixable.

Just noticed that some wise-guy hit the back corner of the bumper on my brand new silver Ex. The damage is only to the paint. There's a couple on small scratches, but they really show up against the silver.

Of course, the person left no contact info. What kind of cost am I looking at to repair this? The car's brand new. I still have paper tags on it.

My body guy (happens to be a Ford Authorized shop) just charged me $250 for my corner bumper. Someone must of grazed it pulling into a parking spot. They blend it in and don't have to do the entire bumper. I recommend that route.

My body guy (happens to be a Ford Authorized shop) just charged me $250 for my corner bumper. Someone must of grazed it pulling into a parking spot. They blend it in and don't have to do the entire bumper. I recommend that route.

That's a great deal. Did they take the bumper off, blend in the area to be repainted and then clearcoat the whole bumper? That is the proper way to do it and you are generally looking $500 or so - at least in a major city like Philly.

That's a great deal. Did they take the bumper off, blend in the area to be repainted and then clearcoat the whole bumper? That is the proper way to do it and you are generally looking $500 or so - at least in a major city like Philly.

Wow, sorry, I'm just a desk jockey. I dropped off the car off and picked it up when it was done. It's Red Candy and honestly, I can't tell where the old and new paint begins. He has done work on a number of cars for me over the years, so maybe this little repair was for my loyal years of service. Good luck.

My take on this is that if you are going to use a vehicle on a daily basis, this kind of stuff is going to happen. I generally just let it go, and if it's something that's adversely going to affect my trade in, I may have it done before I get rid of the vehicle. But generally I have found that it's more expensive to get repaired than to just trade it as is.

I appreciate all the replies. If this weren't a brand new vehicle, I probably wouldn't care. My real fear is that since I can already see paint bubbling around the edge of the scratch, over time, the scratch will grow. I'd rather get it taken care of sooner rather than later. I'll be at the dealership today to see if they can give me a break on the price to fix the bumper.

I appreciate all the replies. If this weren't a brand new vehicle, I probably wouldn't care. My real fear is that since I can already see paint bubbling around the edge of the scratch, over time, the scratch will grow. I'd rather get it taken care of sooner rather than later. I'll be at the dealership today to see if they can give me a break on the price to fix the bumper.

I'd shop around for quotes for independent body/paint shops unless your dealer is feeling very generous. Indies will generally do a better job than a dealer body shop because that is all they do and they will generally be cheaper.

The guy the dealer uses (he works for himself, but works out of the dealership) fixed it for $150. There were some pits or debris that got stuck in the paint, and he had to redo it. Looks like it's brand new.

The guy the dealer uses (he works for himself, but works out of the dealership) fixed it for $150. There were some pits or debris that got stuck in the paint, and he had to redo it. Looks like it's brand new.

Spot repairs can look very good. Can be issues with longevity. Hope it lasts. I'd suggest getting something like Opti-Coat 2.0, which is essentially another layer of clear in sealant form for $70 and putting it on the whole bumper. Easy DIY.

glad to hear a good and affordable outcome.

On a previous vehicle I had very good luck with a dentless repair/paint touch up place. The guy used an airbrush and mixed the paint on site. It was a silver on a plastic wheel molding and I couldn't tell when he was finished.

Maybe you have a place like this out by you:

carnica.com

Good Luck and sorry to hear about the hit and don't bother to leave a note.... Gotta love it. NOT

Personally, I wouldn't want to get the whole bumper repainted on a brand new vehicle if the scratches are fixable. get the service from here autofixonsite.com
Hello,

I discovered a small scratch and two paint chips on my new RAV4 XSE’s driver-side rear bumper area today - not entirely sure where it came from but I was pretty bummed to find it. The damage is in the shiny black paint. Does anyone have any advice on how I could repair this myself with off-the-shelf products or will it require a body shop (should I deem it that important to fix at some point)?

Hello,

I discovered a small scratch and two paint chips on my new RAV4 XSE’s driver-side rear bumper area today - not entirely sure where it came from but I was pretty bummed to find it. The damage is in the shiny black paint. Does anyone have any advice on how I could repair this myself with off-the-shelf products or will it require a body shop (should I deem it that important to fix at some point)?
Did you try the Toyota parts department? They sometimes carry touch-up paint for their vehicles. That's where I bought my paint when I had my Highlanders. You also may be better off posting this in the Toyota forum. Toyota Nation Forum

Peter

Back