bumper v/s reciever hitch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bumper v/s reciever hitch

paul kellam

Reaction score
I bought a reciever hitch for my 03 s/t problem is is that the rear bumper is bowed down alittle from the prior owner what to do?? please help thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2 ways I can think of real quick:

1st and not really the best idea:
take a floor jack and jack it up to the bumper. Stop if it starts to lift the truck - you don't want to mess anything up.

2nd is a little more involved but better in the long run and since you have to install the hitch probably the best choice:
Take the bumper cover off (the plastic piece)
first you have to pry the treads on top of the bumper cover off and take the couple screws that are in the wheel wells.
Then you can take the cover off. There is some play in the bolt holes that attach the bumper to the frame so you might be able to twist the bumper enough to clear the hitch or even just move it up.

By the way pictures really help when you're asking questions :)

Good Luck hope it works :thumbsup:

I would go route two and try to loosen it all up and realign.

maybe do it minus removing the cover cause realigning with no cover was a pain for me. there are 4 bolts that hold the bumper assembly to the frame loosen those then lift, leg press, jack it or do what you can to push it up to the proper height and then re tighten

maybe do it minus removing the cover cause realigning with no cover was a pain for me. there are 4 bolts that hold the bumper assembly to the frame loosen those then lift, leg press, jack it or do what you can to push it up to the proper height and then re tighten

Yeah what that guy said. :thumbsup:

My truck was rear ended and the frame is bent down a bit at the back but I was able to align my bumper to be straight. You don't need to remove the cover.

:thumbsup:

good to hear you got her all lined up again and the hitch on

Back