bumpers and such | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bumpers and such

JoelGriz8124

Reaction score
City, State
massachusettes
Year, Model & Trim Level
hey guys. this is my 1st time ever on this site and ive seen some frigen nasty ass explorers. i can only hope that i can make my explorer look as nice as half of these cars. n e ways i was wondering if you guys could send me some body web sites to look at new bumpers and stuff like that. :salute:
thanx alot guys.

DSC00750.jpg

DSC00751.jpg

DSC00752.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no aftermarket bumpers made for your 98 I dont think, and I assume you are looking for off road style bumpers?

Alot of guys on this forum have built them, have them built, or modify other aftermarket bumpers to work

There are plenty of light and push bar bumpers on the market for your 98

Welcome to the site, try the search button, AND please explain a bit more about what you are looking for in detail, help us help you so to speak

im actually not lookin for offroad im lookin to make my car look kinda sporty. i just dont like the bumper thats on my explorer. ive seen other 98's with different bumpers than mine.also if u no of any other bumpers than can be moded to fit my car lemme no please and tahnx. but idk if u find anything hit me back

okay well check out:

explorerexpress.com

Your Gen II explorer (1995-2001 body style) share the same fenders and adiator support as well as frame horns as any 95-2001

in 95 & 96 they had metal bumpers
in 97+ they used a plastic bumper cover

there are several different styles of bumper covers and grills, from the 2 door sports, to the limited model, the mercury mountaineer 95-97 grill is different, the 98-2001 Mercury headlights and grill and bumper are different, and if you really wanted to get crazy you could even use parts from the sport trac or 98 sport although that would require a bit of fab work......

Alot of guys on this forum have made custom air dams, smoothed factory bumper covers, mixed and matched parts, etc try looking around at the different versions of the 95-2001 trucks and see what ideas you get

okay well check out:

explorerexpress.com

Your Gen II explorer (1995-2001 body style) share the same fenders and adiator support as well as frame horns as any 95-2001

in 95 & 96 they had metal bumpers
in 97+ they used a plastic bumper cover

there are several different styles of bumper covers and grills, from the 2 door sports, to the limited model, the mercury mountaineer 95-97 grill is different, the 98-2001 Mercury headlights and grill and bumper are different, and if you really wanted to get crazy you could even use parts from the sport trac or 98 sport although that would require a bit of fab work......

Alot of guys on this forum have made custom air dams, smoothed factory bumper covers, mixed and matched parts, etc try looking around at the different versions of the 95-2001 trucks and see what ideas you get

thanx a tone for the help man. i epreciate it a lot!

BUMPER pictured looks like a 95-96 to me???

its chrome and metal, but in very good shape!

I thought 97+ had bumper covers only?

the explorer is a 98 and i think its like plastic chrome idk, but its my 1st car and when i bought it from the dealer he said it was a 98. either way i talked the guy down to 4000 from 6500. but im almost posotive its like a chrome plastic. ima go check it out n let ya no.

no they r metal al right. #### i wonder if that motha ####a ripped me off and sold me a 96?

its your job as the consumer to check the build date of the truck

it is quite possible your 98 has a 96 bumper, or I am mistaken and they still had metal in 98, etc

Check your door sticker for a build date, or write down your vin number and check it online, this will tell you the actual year of your truck

what engine does your truck have?
95 had only the 4.0L OHV
96 had the 4.0L OHV and 5.0L V8
97-2001 had the 4.0L OHV, 5.0L and the SOHC 4.0L

its has an sohc 4.0 v6 dosnt have much balls, but its my 1st car. also i just read that its real easy to put a 99 bumper on my 98 so thanx a bunch man i appreciat all the help u gave me

easy as long as you get all the parts you need, there are a few brackets behind the bumper you will need everytrhing from the frame forward, and dont forget the fog lights, etc

I am curious as to why your 98 has older style bumpers OR why I was un aware a 98 could have these metal bumpers? I was under the impression only the 95-96 model year had the metal bumpers

yeah im kinda confused on that one to. i think that 99 is where they stopped using the metal bumpers, because thats the year the bumper covers changed, but idk. once i get the bumper in a few months ill i install it + paint it ill show u some pics man.

The 99 and up had the large round fog lights on bumper -- go for that.

Yea, in 1998 Ford changed the rear hatch design then in 1999 Ford changed the front bumber to the all plastic one with the round fogs.
Thats why a 1998 Explorer is the easiest to identify because it has the redesigned hatch but the older metal bumber.

Colton

learn something every day sorry for the confusion

97 sports and limiteds dont have metal though do they? I know the 97 limited I work on is a plastic bumper cover for sure

Is it just a base model thing?

"its has an sohc 4.0 v6 dosnt have much balls"
ive got the same motor in my 99 XLT, that motor has enough for what it is.
find a v6 mustang and you'll be suprised, i raced my buddy's and beat him, badly

Back