Bumpers

Uncle_Bob

Reaction score
City, State
HORN LAKE
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT
Do 1992 Ranger
and 92 explorer use the same front bumper and hardware? Seems like I can find all kinds of Ford ranger bumpers but nothing specifically for the Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dander==ranger???
I believe explorer 1991-1994 , bronco IIs between 88-90, rangers between 89-92 all had the same bumper.

dander==ranger???
I believe explorer 1991-1994 , bronco IIs between 88-90, rangers between 89-92 all had the same bumper.
Thank you sometimes voice-to-text screws things up royally. I recently got my father's 1992 Explorer other than it has spent a lot of time neglected it only has a hundred and three thousand miles on it it drives fine the paint on it is ruined and I don't think the transfer case motor works I'm about to put new bearings and manual hubs on it but I figured if I'm going to use it as a four-wheel drive I want to mount a winch on it and I've been shopping for bumpers and I can't hardly find anything for the explorers and I was thinking the Ford explorers nothing more than a SUV version of the Ford ranger is it not?
dander==ranger???

Sounds like you’re looking at aftermarket bumpers if you’re talking winch?
If so, the only difference would possibly be a different width between the frame mount points.
Can’t recall for sure but I’m thinking the Ex’s had a wider frame rail than the Ranger?

Isn't the entire front end of an Explorer (fenders, hood, grill, headlights, core support, etc.) that same as the Rangers? I haven't had a Ranger in 29 years, so I can't say for sure, but canvasing the junkyards, they all look the same. I do know the dashes are the same, so the overall width of the frames "should" be identical.

I took a go rhino guard which uses existing mountings off a 92 ranger, fit perfectly on my explorer. If there is a difference in frame beam width though, a plug&play issue might exist. I think they are all compatible though.

entire front end of an Explorer (fenders, hood, grill, headlights, core support, etc.) that same as the Rangers
only for the ranger first gen update/facelift of 89-92 though, pretty sure.

Yes, that was what I was implying since this is a 1st Gen forum area.

Yes, that was what I was implying since this is a 1st Gen forum area.
classifying the info by generation sometimes isn't quite detailed enough. Like you can't use hatch glass from a 2nd gen 95 ex for a 2nd gen 98 ex.

The 1st generation of the ranger is 1983-1992, but the front end prefacelift 83-88 is significantly different from the explorer.

What I am wanting to do is replace the factory bumper with an aftermarket winch bumper I cannot seem to find one specifically for a 1992 Ford Explorer. So I was inquiring to know if one for a Ford ranger would work. But none of the ones that I see for the Ford ranger say Ford Explorer. Now I am looking at a draw Tite front receiver hitch and it fits both Explorer and Ford ranger from the same year model. That's why I'm inquiring if a winch bumper for a Ford ranger would fit Ford Explorer if not why not?

Measure how many inches between your frame rails, and post it here. I’ll measure my Ranger and see if it’s the same.
If the distance between the two frame rails are the same, it will fit. If not, it could easily be made to fit by moving the mount points to the correct width. Can you weld or know someone who does?

@ Kmack, I think the fender profile on the ranger/B2 is different. They would bolt up, but the door wouldn't match and may hit the fender. Other than that the under lying structure is the same.

I'm nearly positive the frame rails are the same dimensions, but not certain. The frame itself is probably thicker or reinforced on the Ex for the heavier vehicle weight. It's been a long time since I had my 89 ranger.

Back