Bumping sound when taking my foot off the accelerator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bumping sound when taking my foot off the accelerator

DA73

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
Hi Guys,

I have an 03 Explorer with 197,000 miles on it and its been a pain recently. Just the other day it's started making a "bumping" noise or feeling right by the drivers side wheel well. It feels like it's almost directly under my feet. It happens when I'm not accelerating. The bumping frequency seems to be directly related to wheel speed. The faster I'm going, the more it happens. If I'm in acceleration then it drives totally normal. When braking it seems to become more pronounced as I slow down.

Background: I had to bring the car to a shop for a grinding noise coming from the drivers side real wheel the other week since I was just out of surgery and couldnt look at anything myself. Turns out the E brake fell apart into the wheel. However while the car was on its way to the shop, the drivers side front wheel came off for reasons that are still unknown. I was told the wear pattern was totally wrong for lose lug nuts so they're not sure what caused it. But I'm wondering if the wheel coming off damaged something other than the wheel/hub.

Anyone had this happen?

All the lug nuts come off and they say they weren't loose?!? Really?

Back